1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: In Tears Trying To Download Host Files

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Leilani323, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leilani323

Leilani323 Thread Starter

Crying my eyes out because I can't figure out how to download the Host Files. Per recommendation on my previous post of "Omg I think my computer has a mind of its own" that I download Host file etc. I have looked at the tutorial and still cannot figure out what the heck I'm suppose to do. I'm afraid that I may have done the wrong thing and messed up my computer trying to download this Host file thing. Please...please...please I need help with this situation using a step-by-step instruction. Thanks for any help.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There is a link at the top of the tutorial to download hosts.zip. Double click it and save the file to a temporary folder, or on your desktop. As mentioned, you can also right click on the link and choose "Save target as". Either should work.

After the hosts.zip file is downloaded, right click on it and extract the files. Exactly how this is done will depend on if you are using the default Windows file archive utility, or if you have another such as WinZip. If done correctly, five files will be extracted. The two you care about are hosts and mvps.bat.

Double clicking mvps.bat should cause the hosts file to be copied to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder. As mentioned, if your anti-virus or anti-malware software complains something is trying to modify the hosts file, choose to allow it.

When done, you can delete the zip file you downloaded and file files you extracted.

Let is know exactly what is happening if you encounter difficuly and we will try to help.

3. andyspeake

andyspeake

Note: Be sure to disable the service "DNS Client" FIRST to allow the use of large HOSTS files without slowdowns.
    If this isn't done first, the next reboot may take a VERY LONG TIME.
    This is how to do it. First be sure you are signed in as a user with administrative privileges:

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Leilani323,
    Frank4D has told you what you exactly need to do! Anyway, i also willtry to stop the welling tears! Hate to see a girl cry:(!
    1) You have gone to the right site! You better use internet explorer to perform all these tasks!
    2)DOWNLOAD WinZip!! Website : http://www.winzip.com/index.htm Just click on "download Winzip" on the right hand side of the page.
    3) You may use the "classic" or the Wizard" interface. Now download the Hosts Zip file to the desktop.Extract the Hosts file to "Notepad", the route to which is-->Start--> All Programs--> Accessories--->Notepad.
    4) In this forum, we (at least self) expect folks to know the "path" of a file! You may invert Microsoft to "TFOSORCIM", but the paths never change! You remember the path to the Hosts file location? C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC5) If you have a Hosts file in the "etc"folder,Windows Explorer will prompt you to replace the existing file.Choose "Yes"
    6)Since you are a VISTA user, i am uncertain about the mvps.dat file's utility(for updating at least)!
    7) From this step on,i suggest ,you simply follow the previous post to install the Hosts file . Best wishes!
    Any probs.,please post! At your service with a smile and a rose!;)(y)

5. Leilani323

Hi

Thank you all who have replied to my post. I appreciate each and every one. So here is where I'm at.

I followed the steps for disabling the DNS client, downloaded the WinZip program and downloaded the hosts.zip to my desktop. I unzipped the
    file. I double clicked the mvps.bat and extracted the Hosts file into Notepad and it is now saved to my desktop.

Now what do I do? This is where I got really confused on how to update the Hosts file in Windows Vista. This is where the sobbing started!!! I tried to use the tutorial but to no avail.... I didn't delete the zip file or anything until I see your next response.

6. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Leilani323,
    1) Use internet explorer for the purpose of opening the website containing MVPS.Hosts file.

2) Download the Hosts.zip file to the Desktop.

3) Now, click to open the zip file. I will provide a snap picture of what you get to view, once you open the zip file.

4) I use WinZip 14 pro. Now let us concern ourselves with A) HOSTS and B) mvps.bat.

5) Do not try to create a notepad of the contents of HOSTS file on the Desktop. Instead highlight the HOSTS in the un-zipped winzip file and "Extract" that file to the ultimate destination which is C:/Windows?System32/Drivers/etc.

6) Now, highlight the mvps.bat file and "extract" to the same destinationas the HOSTS File.

7)
    Now, both the files are in "etc". Double click on mvps.bat file and you get to see this --->a snap shot will be provided at the end. It will be highlighted in Blue. Just click on any letter on the key-board and you are done.:)(y)

Since you operate a Vista, the updating is a little different. I use a software called "HostsMan", so kindly suggested by hewee. Once all this is done, you MUST KNOW HOW TO USE HOSTS FILE(sorry for the bold type, it's only for emphasis)!

I suggest you download and install a fantastic software called "WinPatrol". Kindly Google for it.It is free but the product is so helpful ,you may consider donating dollars to feed our lovely doggie "SCOTTY", who's always on the prowl for our safety!He is looking a bit lean these days, pitch in ,my friends! Now, here comes the snapshots! Any further help,do not hesitate to ask, we are all in the same boat, but some are sea-savvy and some are sea-sick!

Attached Files:

7. Leilani323

Ok...I have a silly question, how do I run as an administrator?

These are the steps I did:

Unzipped the Host.zip file with WinZip....right clicked on HOST.....clicked extract which took me to the destination Windows\System32\drivers\ect....clicked on unzip and this is the message I received:

The folder already contains this file.

Would you like to replace the existing file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    597KB 3/16/2010 2:19PM

with this one:

HOSTS
    597KB 3/16/2010 2:19PM

And when I went to click "Yes" a message popped up

error access denied cannot create
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    Administrative priviledges may be required.

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Unless you made a typo when copying the text of the message you received, you already have that HOSTS file in place. Note that size, date, and creation time are the same.

9. Leilani323

Yes...I saw that they were the same so I'm a little confused or I should say a whole lot confused. But if it is where it needs to be then I guess I have that step done and now need to know how to do the rest and know how to update the HOST file for Vista...that is where I really got confused and posted here to find out exactly how to do that. I tried using the tutorial but got confused because there were different methods and I didn't know which one to use. Then I tried to do the first method by using the SendTo Method but couldn't figure it out and then tried the Elevated Command Prompt Method and wasn't sure if I did that right or not because I wasn't sure if it was saved and renamed. Is there a way of finding out...or am I just a really confused puppy?

10. hewee

hewee

You may like using a Hosts file manager better. It can make things more easy and you get added options and can backup and restore the hosts file. Also restore the default hosts file if you want. You need on some to have Admin rights to change a hosts file but it can run in any type of profile.
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

11. Leilani323

So if I'm reading the post from hewee correctly, I can use a host file manager by clicking on the link above and choosing HostMan or HostExpert? Will this type of software reset the host file back to it's default or is that another step I need to do myself? Do I just start all over again and get rid of the Host.file that I had downloaded earlier? And what about the DNS thing does that need to go back to its original settings since I have changed that too to manual? I don't mean to sound like an idiot but all this is new to me and I'm trying to understand what everyone has posted. Thanks for posting a reply hewee I appreciate it. About the Admin rights...how do I do that?

12. hewee

hewee

It should not reset your hosts file. But once you update your hosts file then it can change it. Best to over write the hosts file.
    HostExpert has an no install so you may want to use to to check things out.
    I use HostsMan and it has many options also. It has a list of hosts file you can use and have 6 hosts files listed with the 1 hosts file of my own I keep. When you over write the hosts file your lose any of your sites you have added so by me having then listed in a .txt file named "my hosts file" I just added it to the list of sites.

So what ever you get just go to the backup manager and back up your hosts file.
    I got XP Pro and I think Hostsman takes care of the DNS part but read what it says here. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Note

If you don't have WinPatrol then get it because it is a great program to have. You have option of it to alert you of any changes to the hosts file and if you keep your PC clean then any changes are ones you should know about because you made them to the hosts file.
    Your Firewall or other Anti-Malware program may have a option to monitor the hosts file also. I have Online Armor and it will alert you right away of any changes to the hosts file if you check that option.

On Admin rights you can right click on the program and pick run-as and pick the admin account and type in the admin password.

If you use hostsman in a user account then you can not do much. The H icon will be grayed out. Then in the admin account it will be green when
    running and red if you disable it.
    You have the help you can click on to get more info.

Hphost has a site here. http://forum.hosts-file.net/

13. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi hewee:

My question isn't directly related to the thread topic but I thought I'd post it here rather than start a new thread. At the MVPS.org site they mention that the WINPatrol program can lock the Hosts file. In the WINPatrol program, I have "Warn if changes are made to my Internet Hosts and critical System files" enabled but can't find where you can lock the Hosts file.

Thanks ;)

14. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear GoJoAGoGo,
    This is how i have configured WinPatrol, as regards Hosts file:

Attached Files:

15. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Leilani323,
    HostsMan is an excellent update tool for Hosts file. Your prob. is you need Admin. previleges. Open HostsMan--> go to Help Section. View the snaps below. If (n),come back here!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice