Solved: Inaccessible Boot Device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pfiltz

Have a 2K prof machine, with all the Service packs installed, and NAV running. Ran fine yesertday, and for quite some time. Today, It crashes with the fatal blue screen

STOP: 0x00000078b (0x814725b0, ....... ...... Ect...
inaccessible_boot_device

It gets past post, then jumps into starting windows 2000 prof. screen. 1/2 way through, it crashes.

I've tried to boot into safe, last known good boot, etc... All crash.

Any ideas?

3fs

Do you have any USB devices attached? (USB hard drive, cd-rom drive, floppy, pen drive, etc.) If so, try booting with them unhooked.

3fs

Also, here is a good troubleshooting KB article for that error you may want to look over.

pfiltz

Just keyboard and mouse.

No system changes have taken place on this machine for months.

pfiltz

Solved:

I used this method, per MS site, and the link you provided.

Method 5
If the file system is corrupt and Windows NT cannot mount the boot volume during start, move the drive to another machine running Windows NT and run the CHKDSK command on that drive. Alternately, attempt to create a parallel installation of Windows NT on the drive in a separate directory. The Windows NT Setup program checks the integrity of the volume prior to copying files and may fix some problems.

When I put the drive in a working machine, that I had just setup this morning, it found the drive and ran a chkdsk /f all by itself. I then took the drive out, and placed it back in the org.tower. It booted up.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

3fs

pfiltz said:
Solved:

I used this method, per MS site, and the link you provided.

Method 5
If the file system is corrupt and Windows NT cannot mount the boot volume during start, move the drive to another machine running Windows NT and run the CHKDSK command on that drive. Alternately, attempt to create a parallel installation of Windows NT on the drive in a separate directory. The Windows NT Setup program checks the integrity of the volume prior to copying files and may fix some problems.

When I put the drive in a working machine, that I had just setup this morning, it found the drive and ran a chkdsk /f all by itself. I then took the drive out, and placed it back in the org.tower. It booted up.

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.
Great! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online