1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Incoming email unreadable coding.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by PeaceFool, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

Some of my incoming emails have been nothing but completely unreadable code. Naturally it only happens with actual mail that I care about, not the junk mail. I am using Windows XP Home, and use Knology as my ISP. The emails in question are all coming from University-based addresses, and so im curious if that might play a role. Are there any translators available for free that I could copy the coding into and get something readable out of? Many of those emails are of personal importance.

2. sekirt

sekirt

What do you use to access your emails?
    Web based (like Yahoo!)? POP3 (like Outlook Express)? AOL? Other?

sekirt

3. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

web based i suppose. I log in through my ISP's home site, and they provide me with an email address, and if i want it, a home page and server space.

4. sekirt

sekirt

It sounds like HTML/RTF (rich text format). The other possibility is a Word file.

Since it is your ISPs site, you might be able to get help from them. Otherwise, I think you have to contact the people sending these emails and tell them to send you plain text. Which any email client can read.

For the existing ones, I can give you a possible way to read them but it will take some effort on your part. This will only work if it is in HTML format, not a Word file.

1) Copy the email. Paste it into Notepad.
    2) Name it whatever.htm. You can use whatever name you want but the extension has to be .htm.
    3) Use Save As... and place it in a folder.
    4) Open Internet Explorer. IE->File->Open. Then browse to where you saved the .htm file. OK your way out. It should then appear in IE.

sekirt

5. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

After trying the steps you gave me, all that happened was the same coding popped up in a text document file. Are there any programs that can do it, or useful sites that might teach me how to go about translating? How can I tell if it is RTF or just a Word file? Typically my email is able to receive everything, so I just dont understand why this is occurring to begin with.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Try copying and pasting a partial email here. If there is sensitive material, add some "xxx" so it doesn't reveal anything. Same for any email address that shows.

I hope your choice of words was accidental. You can't have a document file. In Notepad, if it is HTML, it will look just like the email. Then once you run it in IE, it should appear as readable text. The "program" that runs HTML is IE.

Again, contacting your ISP might help.

sekirt

7. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

yea, my mistake in wording. basically it all looks like this, even after i copy it into notepad and save as .htm. and open in IE.

TGFzdCBuaWdodCB3YXMgcmVhbGx5IGNyYXxxxp5IHRvIHNheSB0aGUgbGVhc3QuIEkgdGhvdWdodCBh
    Ym91dCB5b3UgbW9yZSB0aGFuIG9uY2UgbGFzdCBuaWdodC4gSSB3YXMgVC1yYXxxNoZWQuIEFuZCBu

appreciate the help by the way, seems you sleep about as much as i do.

8. sekirt

sekirt

I have seen spam that looks like that but you say these are emails from known sources. If that is what the email looks like throughout, I am not certain. A Word file would have characters that resemble squares and whatnot in addition to other unreadable characters.

Was there ever a time that emails came in from the same source that were readable? You might still contact the people that sent these, find out how they compose the emails.

sekirt

9. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

thanks for the help mate. looks like it'll just have to be a mystery. my isp is useless of course. but appreciate the effort nonetheless.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

It sounds like it may be UUENCODE'd mail.

Do you happen to have WinZip installed? Or any other zip program like WinRar, etc.

Otherwise I keep looking for a way to decode them.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Universities seem to have a penchant for UUENCODE, would bet on that being the case.

12. sekirt

sekirt

Hi WhitPhil and kiwiguy

So then web mail cannot decipher UUENCODE? If that is the same coding as images, it works on those? Why would it come in the message area? I've seen attachments that had to be decoded. Still strange, seems like there would be a lot of complaints.

Hi PeaceFool
    This decoder might be able to handle it. Go down this page until you come to Fastcode32. Freeware.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/comm/fwmiscmail.html

Let us know how it turns out.

sekirt

13. PeaceFool

PeaceFool Thread Starter

Hey thanks. That worked with all but one of them. I really appreciate it. Didnt expect to actually find a solution, so again my thanks.

14. sekirt

sekirt

Once we got help identifying it, from WhitPhil and kiwiguy, the rest was easy. :D

Glad it worked for you.

15. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

sekirt:

Thanks for tracking down that decoder. :)

The other "trick" (if I remember correctly), if you have Winzip, etc installed, is to copy/paste the UUENCODEd text into a TXT file, rename it to an extension of UUE and then open it with the Zip app, which has the smarts to decode it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!