1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Incompatible device error on Canon printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have a Canon Pixma MP600 inkjet printer. Turned it on yesterday morning, and it gave me an "incompatible device plugged into the printer" error message. There was NO device plugged into the computer. Later, based on things I found on the Internet that said this might be due to the paper jam lever being in the wrong position, I followed the steps to reset the lever that detects same. Didn't do anything except change the error message to "there's a paper jam". . . which there definitely IS NOT!

I tried unplugging the power cord and USB cable. I tried rebooting the computer. Nothing fixed the problem.

Contacted Canon tech support and spent 10 min. on the phone with a rep, who had me go thru a number of steps, but ultimately concluded that the printer needed service. . . which costs almost as much as I paid for it.

Anybody have any idea what could cause this error message, which makes the printer inoperable? I don't use the printer much, so turn it off and on during the day. Is it best to leave it on all the time (i.e., could that be the cause of the failure)?

2. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Maybe try downloading the printer drivers off canons website, or does the printer itself say the errors? Also, reset printer button (like the ones were you put a pen tip in a recessed hole)?

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

The error message appears on the printer's LCD, not on my computer. It has a Stop/Reset button on the control panel, but that didn't do anything.

4. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Does it have a reset button as a piece of hardware on the printer?

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Yes.

6. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Have you depressed and held the reset button on the printer for more than ten seconds (5-10 usually is what is required for the printer to reset). If not, do so and see how that goes. If my two pieces of advice do not work, it may be time for a new printer.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Yes; held it for about 20 sec. No response.

8. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Check your manual. I know that for my modem I need to unplug it and hold the reset button for 90 seconds. First try holing it in for 90 seconds. If that doesn't work unplug and try the reset button again.

9. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Nope; neither does anything. The tech rep I talked to told me to hit the reset button 5 times with the printer unplugged (which I did, but find very strange, since there's no current going to the computer board, so what can hitting any button do?).

It's become obvious that something has gone haywire in the controller board inside the printer. The cost of that board + the bench charges exceed the cost of a new printer.

10. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Good idea. I would suggest a lazer jet print, where there is a high initial cost but you get like 8000 prints out of a single cartage.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice