1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Incorrect disk space, low disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darknavi, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darknavi

darknavi Thread Starter

I'm asking this for someone else.

Drive C total capacity is around 24GB, when selecting all files in C:, it shows 12GB used, but only 2GB is left in free space. What's wrong?

2. darknavi

darknavi Thread Starter

Thanks, chkdsk is over, the problem is still there, any idea what causes it? Virtual memory doesn't take over 10GB so that's not possible, other stuff like system restore, hibernation, etc. also don't take over 10GB, any ideas?

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

4. darknavi

darknavi Thread Starter

Thanks! that worked, but there's something weird going on

By default, norton recycle bin should only use 10% of total disk space, which is around 2GB in a 23GB drive. 10GB+ is around 50%, is something wrong with norton?

5. Byteman

Hi, Would seem that there is something wrong, but I can't help with determining if it is Norton doing it or why....see any slider bar settings or something to adjust the "space" the Norton Protected Bin uses?

How about for any other user accounts?

Does it show up that way in all accounts?

Have you heard about and fixed the issue with the Norton Protected Recycle Bin that was hard to delete items from as it was hidden by a rootkit, which Symantec built into their software? It was desgined so that users would have a way to recover files accidentally deleted...and, it might have stored up that much stuff!

Symantec issued a notice recently, after the Sony and BMG music fracas (Sony had their software using a rootkit also, designed to work with their music CDs which are copyrighted...and when the news hit the fan, Symantec let it go public with a way for users to UN-hide stored items in the Norton Protected thing....you can read about it here:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2006.01.10.html

You may need to have hidden and system files settings changed so you can "see" all files, also do this:

Because XP will not always show you hidden files and folders by default, Go to Start > Search>Files and Folders>> and under "More advanced search options".
    Make sure there is a check by "Search System Folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search system subfolders"

Next click on My Computer. Go to Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked. Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extensions for known file types" . Now click "Apply to all folders"
    Click "Apply" then "OK"

If that does not help: The Recycle Bin(s) are used on ALL partitions or hard drives- you might be looking at the Total space it is using?

You must have deleted a ton of stuff over time, I am not sure how long that Norton Bin saves copies of things you delete.

Here is a thread I found with good info about the storage in the Norton Bin, I would check with Symantec support site (don't call, just check at the site itself) about your version of the Norton program, as it might be different. There are 2 pages, here below is the thread, read all through it as they make some additions and changes as they go along.....hope it helps!

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64986

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64986&page=2

Willing to bet the Protected Bin is hiding Gigabytes of things you have deleted?

It's supposed to only keep them for 7 days it seems...but?

6. darknavi

darknavi Thread Starter

Hi,
    yup, norton is hiding the extra gigs that were "missing". I heard about the rootkit sony uses, blizzard is using something similar to catch "cheaters" in their world of warcraft game, so it's rootkit vs rootkit, spyware to fight spyware.

Norton is set to 10% by default on all accounts, but somehow, that limit just got overwritten and went out of hand, but clearing that took care of my friend's problem. I got no idea how my friend could've deleted 10GB of stuff within a week, it's weird, must be some huge game or video.

This happened in win98/ME too, without norton installed, so windows is "eating" up space too, but for some weird and bizzare reason, the missing space just appears again after a few days, so I guess windows is at fault too.

Everything is ok now.

7. Byteman

Hi, Your'e very welcome, and stop by anytime!(y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice