1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Increase webpage font for printing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pcguy9441, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Anyone have a solution for this. You are on a webpage with a document you want to print. Let's say it's a killer pasta recipe. But you want to up the font size a notch or two. In IE or Firefox you can use ctrl+ to increase font size, but that only impacts what's on the screen. If you print with ctrl P you still get original font. The only way I know is to cut/past desired text into a dummy email (or Word doc), massage the font as desired, then print. BUT, I'm trying to dumb the process down for a marginally computer literate neighbor. Also, often when I print a given page, it comes out blank except for the peripheral stuff around the edges. That is, the main content of the page is blank like it's got a "print block" enabled. Does such a thing exist where the author does not want the content printed?
    Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance, Eric.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yes, print block does exist. Right click block also. Just go to this page for example and try to right click on the text...

But, they can never completely prevent people from copying the pages. Just think of the Printscreen key...

3. Hughv

Hughv

There's all kinds of options here. The Print preview dialog allows print scaling, and your printer software is likely to have a similar feature.
    The print preview options seem to apply to the whole, but my Canon has no problem scaling only the selection. A little experimentation is likely to pay off here, but I suspect Copy/Paste into Notepad is your best bet.
    As for Phantom's page, Ctrl-C or Edit/Paste works just fine.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

This page?
    "Svchost, short for service host, is a core Windows system process that handles the processes that are executed from DLLs. Because Svchost provides support to many essential Windows services, there are multiple instances of the executable running at the same time on your system. You must never terminate this program because it is required for secure and stable functioning of your PC. Due to application error, svchost.exe may cease to function and make your system unstable. When the error occurs on your computer, you may receive an error message similar to the one given below:"
    http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/fixing-application-error-svchostexe/

Must be a MS thing as you can see I had no problem r-clicking it.

5. Phantom010

Not sure why it worked for you but I know for a fact that some websites disable right click for copyright purposes. What web browser did you use?

It works only if you highlight the text then click on Edit and Copy. But, right click doesn't work. Ha ha, nice try.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

What do you mean r-click doesn't work?

What option are you not getting?

Using Firefox.

R-click> select all> copy.

No going to edit menu.

Maybe you should try before calling others liars.

7. Phantom010

I'm not calling you a liar and I'm really sorry if you took it that way. I was joking (didn't you see the ha ha?). I should have inserted a smily face :D. Relax now. I'm not using Firefox. I'm using IE7 and believe me, my right click is disabled for the text on that page. So, I thought you were pulling my leg. :D The website possibly configured this right click block for IE and didn't think it wouldn't apply for Firefox (didn't even know myself). Obviously, websites using these types of filters, like print or right click block, have no idea of all existing ways to copy the content anyway. When you display something on the web for everybody to see, you'll unfortunately have to forget about preventing your work from being copied. There's no such thing really possible on the web.

Disabling right click

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK.....thanks all for the info. You guys got off on some tangents, but punch line is "print block" and "Rclick" blocks exist, something I suspected but did not know for sure....but can be worked around with a screen capture. Problem is you need an app like Hypersnap to select exact window captured, but not a big deal, they're cheap apps. For increasing font size for printing, my main issue, cut/paste is apparently the only solution. Problem is the people I'm trying to help find PCs to daunting and intimidating to get their brain around any multi-step process. If it's more than a single key stroke or click to do something, they throw their hands up in despair.

9. Hughv

Hughv

Using FF 3, rt-click is disabled for me on that page.
    If you look at the source, you'll see that a "noclick.js" is installed. Interesting that you can rt-click and we can't.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Try with N0-script(Firefox Add-on), if that isn't it, try a Linux LiveCD.

11. Hughv

Hughv

No need, as it's easy enough to copy these pages if I really wanted to.
    Makes me wonder why you got all bent out of shape instead of pointing this out.

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I said I could r-click it, was told couldn't, nice try, like I was trying to pull one over on someone.

Makes me wonder why you want to continue it. The other party and myself dropped this yesterday after a couple of PMs'.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice