1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Increasing Columns in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shillguy, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shillguy

shillguy Thread Starter

I'm using MS Excel 2007 under Win7 Prof.
    In it, the columns visible in Excel are only upto 'IU', and all these columns are in use. Now, if I try to insert any more columns, the messages comes that "to prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift Non-blank columns off the worksheet".
    I'm stumped, and I need to increase the columns further and do not know how do I go about this.
    Kindly Help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Have a read here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305568

What happens if you do [Control][End]

Do you have any hidden columns or merged cells

Excel 2007 should now go upto column XFD (16384) and row 1048576 on Excel 2007.

See if you can move further by pressing ctrl+right arrow should goto Column XFD
    if not
    got to a new sheet and try ctrl+right arrow and see if a blank worksheet will allow you to move to Column XFD .

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Another possibility is that you are working in Excel 2007 but with the settings for 2003 and down, the so called compatability mode.
    This will also restrict and at least warn when you exceed the IV1 limit set by the older versions.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

I would bet it is the latter, Hans. 2003 only allows through column IV - no more. Since that is all Excel 2003 can handle, if they were all full and you attempted to insert a new column A, say, it would have to dump all the data in IV - thus the note and the refusal.

Shillguy, make sure that you aren't running in compatibility mode, as Hans said, and also make sure you only have Excel 2007 installed - if you have both 2003 and 2007 installed, the wrong one may be starting up for you (that is, 2003 when you want 2007.)

5. shillguy

shillguy Thread Starter

I checked it out, and yes, as you have pointed out, it is still running in the 2003 Compatible mode.

If a new file is opened, it goes upto the column XFD, but when I tried to save my current file in the new format of .xlsx, the file is saved in this format but it refuses to go beyond the column IV.

Kindly guide me further.

6. shillguy

shillguy Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!
    When I rebotted my PC, the new file worked like a charm.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice