1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Inexplainable message from comodo....

Discussion in 'General Security' started by new tech guy, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new tech guy

new tech guy Thread Starter

Hello folks,
    Let me get right down to it, i was sitting in class just earlier with my pc. Only applications i beleive to have running were microsoft onenote and i had mozilla firefox open as that is my web browser of choice. Out of the blue comodo came up with a firewall alert that system was trying to receive a connection from some port (i cant remember which one and i cant seem to find any log of the alert). Knowing i had not changed any software configurations on the pc recently i went to the web and tried to search leaving the comodo window open figuring comodo would keep the link in limbo for a while. Comodo did not give me a process but i do have an ip address which is 10.1.1.3 . I just now ran ipconfig in command prompt to see what the ip information is and it appears that IP is listed as the DHCP and DNS servers. Im just a little worried because ive seen plenty of outgoing requests go through that firewall and usually know what they are doing but never seen an inbound request come through and atcually alert me before. Yet odder yet the gateway is 10.81.0.1 . Really odd. My question is, why did the comodo alert just dissapear after a few moments? What did it do that it disappeared? Comodo's advisor claimed it was safe but im not 100%. If someone could clarify what went on it would be appreciated. Finally, no adverse effects have been seen on the pc and it seems to be operating normally.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

From a security perspective, I would assume that you did nothing and the dialog went away, then it would be taken as a deny. At least thats what I hope it is.

3. new tech guy

I would love to think that but am not sure why the dialogue just went away. Found it strange how it just appeared out of the blue and the red flag really went up because it was on a college network making me think 2 things: 1 hacker lookin for a victim or 2 a computer on the network infected with something looking to spread somehow. I didnt like the way it looked but if someone knows why the dialouge went away and what happened when it did it would be appreciated.

4. Gizzy

Gizzy

the dialog went away because the alerts for the firewall and defense+ are set to only display for 120 seconds by default to change it

In The Comodo Window Click The Firewall Tab On The Top,

Then Click Advanced On The Left

Then Click Firewall Behavior Settings

Then On The Bottom Where It Says Keep an alert on screen for maximum 120 seconds change that to as long as you want the alert to stay on the screen,

Same with defense+ if you have it installed with the firewall

Defense+ tab

Advanced

Defense+ Settings

and for future if you want you could just block it but make sure the remember box isn't checked so if it needs to connect again since it's not remembered it'll just pop up again.

EDIT: I wasn't really sure what happens if you don't click anything so I put the settings to 5 seconds (so I could test it faster) and deleted my rules for firefox and tried to load google and when the alerts popped up I didn't click anything and when the alerts went away google didn't load so if you don't click anything then it'll automatically block it.

5. new tech guy

Either that or a timeout occurs on the connection. But in any event it sounds like the firewall dealt with it and nothing needs to be worried about :) thanks guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice