1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Infinite reboot issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RBurger, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RBurger

RBurger Thread Starter

hola.

Yesterday I cloned my old SATA hard drive (200 GB) to new SATA hard drive (2 TB) - the image had Windows XP Professional installed on it - before this i had dual-booting set up, so i could boot into either XP or Windows 7 (the latter is installed on a partition on another hard drive).

Now with this new hard drive installed in place of the old one, for some reason i'm getting infinite reboot loop even before being presented with the boot manager window (with OS selections), i.e. I am still able to get into the BIOS if I want to, but it doesn't get much further... in my BIOS settings I have the new hard drive (with XP) listed first in the drive sequence. I've even unchecked the 'Automatically restart' checkbox in System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> System failure, without any change in observed behaviour.

But, curiously enough if i have Hiren's Boot CD in my DVD drive and and boot from it, and then choose 'Boot from Hard Drive', it all works as before (I get shown 'XP' or 'Windows 7' options, both work).

Any ideas as to what I should/can try? I had a brief look at boot.ini on the Windows XP partition and bcdedit settings on Windows 7 partition and didn't see anything obviously wrong...

thanks,
    Greg

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. RBurger

RBurger Thread Starter

Boot.ini file contents on the older 200 GB hard drive and newer 2 TB hard drive is identical, and both files are marked hidden and system.

Another thing I'm trying to understand, in my setup, on boot-up after I get the option to enter Setup and before any OS selection window is shown, is it Windows 7 bootmgr that's being accessed or XP boot.ini? Both seem to be located on the first partition of the first drive... the first partition of the second drive isn't marked as active, nor does it have any boot.ini/bootmgr files, which is why this auto-reboot loop almost looks like wrong drive is being used... although even then, shouldn't there be a fallback onto the other drive configured in BIOS.

4. RBurger

RBurger Thread Starter

After re-running the cloning, this time using Norton Ghost with disk cloning (as opposed to partition cloning), the problem seem to have disappeared. The initial clone attempt was done using Ghost4Linux's 'Click'n'Clone' method... perhaps the fact that source drive was 200 GB and target 2 TB caused some issues with boot sector/MBR when G4L bit-by-bit clone option was used.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice