1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: info box

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ms_khw, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I'd like to add an info box within my text to my web page. You place your mouse on it and a box opens with text. I found the following code, but the box does not stay open with your mouse on it. It keeps closing and you have to move your mouse over it repeatedly. I'd appreciate any help with the code. With thanks, msk
    This is the code that I have been trying to use:
    <A HREF="http://www.mysite.ca/" TITLE="Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas massa mi, rhoncus sit amet suscipit non, congue eu dui. Nulla dictum, libero non feugiat ultrices, nulla felis vestibulum elit, semper aliquet neque ante ac odio. :&#10;&#13; &#10;&#13;
    ">Town </A>

2. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Do a 'Google' on overlib. Sounds like the ideal solution to your problem...

Danny

3. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

Thanks, I did a google and did find one. It works great in Explorer, but only Explorer. Other browsers like Firefox, Safari etc it does not open where it should. It opens down on the left corner of the screen and only the top of the box shows. How can I correct this. This is the code that I used.
    I placed this <DIV ID="overDiv" STYLE="position:absolute; visibility:hide; z-index:1;"></DIV>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="overlib.js"></script> inside the body of my page and added this where I wanted it to show on the page: <a href="http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/features.html" onMouseOver="return overlib('Check Out overLIB\'s full list of features.', HEIGHT, 40, LEFT, ABOVE, SNAPX, 5, SNAPY, 5)" onMouseOut="nd();">Features</a> Please help.

4. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Strange about the browser issue. I use Macs to develop web applications and have never encountered a problem with display consistency and overlib... Plenty of other problems obviously, just never overlib. ;)

Couple of suggestions:

First, comment out the 'overDiv' declaration and see if it changes anything. I searched the source for the app I'm working on now and I have it commented out. I'm building my pages from a template that I designed months ago, and while I can't remember an issue there may well have been one, there's been a lot of PHP gone under the bridge since then!

Second, drop all params from the overlib(); call except the basic string and see if this helps. If it works you can add back elements until one of them breaks it and you'll be on your way to isolating the problem.

Couple of questions:

Are you (please say 'No') using framesets?

Are there other div tags on the page?

Hope this has helped, but if not please let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with...

Danny

5. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

Thank you. I am not using framesets and yes there are other div tags on the page. The div tags are found in my nav bar code. I have been playing around with the placement of the overlib code and have finally got the box to show, but now it shows up in the top left corner. The full box with all of the text is there. My html coding is limited to the bare essentials so I am more than just a little lost???.

6. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Is this a live page? Can you PM me a link and I'll take a look.

Danny

7. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

No. I do not have a host for my site yet because it is not ready to go online. How can I show you what I've put together?

8. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

You could PM me the HTML, or post it as code here if don't mind doing that.

Danny

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice