Solved: Initial TCP Sequence Predictable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tazz1

I am having a problem passing our security scan. The initial TCP sequence number is predictible (CVE-199-0077). I am using a Zyxel G4100 v2 router. I am guessing that I need to go with a different router since this one will not address the issue and there is no update to resolve it. I have my Hotspot and 3 desktop computers set up on it so I need a router that has 6 ports available. Is there a certain brand that does randomize the TCP sequence numbers?

What security scanner are you using ?

I'm no networking genious, but doesn't the initial sequence number gets generated by Windows, or whatever OS you are using? I assume the router just passes them onwards without modifying them? Try hooking up your scanner inside the network and see.

Tazz1

Security Metrics is the scan used. NMAP is where I am failing the scan. I have talked with numerous people and I am totally confused. I have the router with DHCP on. I have Access Points connected to the router that is my Hotspot. I was told that my router is assigning the numbers. If I bypass all my WIFI equipment, have the ISP take me out of Bridge Mode and wire Desktop straight into the modem then I pass the scan. This is totally an inconvenience since I don't know when the scans will be ran. It is random. I need a permanent solution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts