1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Initialize VS. format?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Flashback, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

Today I bought a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5 - 3.5 hard drive dock. I need to copy what was on my old laptop drive onto my new desktop. Both use Vista. The BlacX works fine but the drive for the laptop doesn't show up and the instructions say to "initialize" the drive. If I do that will I delete or format anything that is on the drive? What is the difference between a formating and initializing a drive? Thanks :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    format - and you will lose anything on the disk

try this
    UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
    1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
    2) Install ubuntu
    3) Check CD for defects
    4) Test memory
    5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
    XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
    Vista look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

If you still have issues mounting the harddrive:
    On the main menu of Ubuntu, there's an option to Check CD for defects. I ran this and was able to mount the C Drive.

3. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

I already know that the hardware is good and that it's a windows problem. That's OK, I needed a bigger harddrive anyway :) That is why I bought the Thermaltake BlacX, so that I can copy my data off of it. I just need to know what happens to the drive (and data) when you Initialize a drive....

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry - I posted a script for recovering data - You can still use UBUNTU to get the data off the drive that windows wants to initalise -
    Create the UBUNTU CD - do NOT install and run from the CD and then you should see the USB harddrive and be able to navigate to all your data and copy

windows is asking you to format and wipe the harddrive, of all the data
    You will format and lose the data - (although you can still use programs to recovery that data if the drive is not used)

5. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

Where - exactly - is this "main menu'? I clicked and right clicked everywhere possible and nothing came up with the option of Check CD....

Thanks...

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you dont need to check the CD - just copy the data off
    can you see your Harddrives? and use the software to copy your data off

7. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

Yes, it took like 4-5 hours, but we were able to copy the entire harddrive :)

Etaf I just wanted to personally thank you for all of your help with this. I don't think I would have been able to do this without Ubuntu, plus I learned something new, which is always a plus (y)

Thanks for helping me and getting everything to where it needed to be :)

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You welcome (y)
    For any really important data I would also backup onto a couple of DVDs - harddrives do fail...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice