1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: input/output error ntfs drive

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by sahra_kavir, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahra_kavir

sahra_kavir Thread Starter

Hi,

I have ubuntu and windows on my laptop. I have a separate NTFS partition which I use for storing my files. I have been using Ubutu for read/write to the ntfs partition for a long time. 3 days ago I booted the windows and just opened the ntfs partition without writing any files. Once back in Ubuntu, I realized that some of the directories in the ntfs partition are gone! When I ls into the partition I get input/output error for those directories. The directories do not appear in windows also.

I have already made an image on the partition using ddrescue.
    I have tested these with no success: testdisk, ntfsundelete, foremost under Ubuntu and chsdsk under windows

I appreciate any help to recover the data

2. saikee

saikee

The way you described makes me think the missing files could be the system files used by the MS Windows.

The partition you are keeping could be also a backup or a clone of the MS Windows not originally generated by itself but by another operating system. M$ has a tendency to remove duplicate systems files it finds without telling the user as it is illegal to have them. You will not be able to keep a clone version online while runing the MS Windows.

If you have a duplicate system file it can cause confusion to the MS Windows and so you should expect the OS will do something about it. To the MS Windows it can be regarded as a sign of infection!

3. sahra_kavir

No actually it is not a clone of another partition. It is just an NTFS partition on the system which is visible through windows and mountable in ubuntu. It is not bootable.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ignore Saikee's post as it is not correct.
    Your problem may have been caused by Windows though. Later versions of Windows use a later version of NTFS than most Linux Systems do. Had there been a discrepancy on the NTFS system when you opened it in Windows, Windows would have corrected it, thus writing to the drive.
    Try these suggestions ( preferably on a true clone of the partition{all tracks} first).

5. sahra_kavir

I think you forgot to include the suggestions

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I've forgotten what I was suggesting now, and I cannot get back into the same train of thought that I had last night..

Sorry

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now you can change your signature to "I remember that the last time I forgot something was Dec. 29, 2012." :D

8. DVOM

DVOM

:eek: :p

9. sahra_kavir

After testing many free recovery softwares, I finally used the software: Active file recovery from Lsoft, bought a personal software and recovered my files with all directory branches in windows
    This was the cheapest working software I found

It was actually a headache to loose all files only because of using a drive on both ubuntu and windows.
    Thank you for all the help

10. DVOM

DVOM

I don't think your problem was due to using the drive in both Ubuntu and Windows. l've been doing that for years. However, NTFS, like any file system, is subject to corruption. Of course, there's lots of things that can go wrong resulting in total loss of data.

Given the myriad ways things fail, the most important thing is redundant backups of important data.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice