1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Inserting a USB device causes blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tsharky87, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsharky87

tsharky87 Thread Starter

I've had this computer (ThinkPad R60e, WinXP Home SP3, 1.83 GHz 1 GB RAM) for years and its never had this kind of problem before: whenever I insert anything (thumb drive, camera, iPod) into the a USB port the computer goes into a blue screen of death saying "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and "STOP: 0x00000050". I've noticed that with certain things like my external harddrive, it works fine if its plugged in while the computer boots, but not if inserted while its already active. I'm really not sure at all what could be causing this, I haven't changed anything drastically about the computer in quite a while. The only thing I can think of is my antivirus program (McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i) just recently found a trojan and I then did a full scan to get rid of it completely. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks!

P.S. I've search the forums already and it seems a few people have had this problem (like http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/437651-blue-screen-usb.html), but I don't see that anyone has really solved it.

2. SilentTim

SilentTim

3. tsharky87

tsharky87 Thread Starter

I installed SP3 quite a long time before this issue began, and also my processor is Intel-based (Centrino Duo). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. A+Computer

A+Computer

Hi tsharky87

Can you please browse to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder. Once there please compress & zip the file & attach it to your forums post so I can better assist you.

5. tsharky87

tsharky87 Thread Starter

Alright, I have attached the entire minidump folder, but I suspect the only ones that are relevant are the ones that occurred recently, namely Mini091908-01 through 04, 092008-01, 092108-01 and 02. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. A+Computer

A+Computer

Ok tsharky87

Here's what I can see causing problems:

update USBPORT.SYS driver or un-install it

0x8E actually is a Kernel Mode Exception not Handled error. The c0000005 tells you what kind of Exception it was. In this case it is a Memory Access Violation

I would download Memtest and test your RAM.
    http://www.memtest.org

If ram checks out, then it can be numerous things causing Access Violation. Perhaps check event viewer to see if there's any recent reports.

7. tsharky87

tsharky87 Thread Starter

I tried both of those. I uninstalled all of the usb drivers and let them reinstall themselves upon plugging it in, and then I got another BSOD once it was done.

I also tried the memory test, and it finished with no errors.

I'm not sure how to check the event viewer or what to look for.

I posted here the most recent minidump so someone could check it out.

Attached Files:

8. A+Computer

A+Computer

read below

9. A+Computer

A+Computer

Ok

Program launch EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 nt!CcPfBeginAppLaunch+27

10. tsharky87

tsharky87 Thread Starter

Solved!!! Thank you so very much for your persistent help. I now also understand what caused this whole problem. You see, I recently tried to move all of my iTunes library into an external (USB) harddrive so it wouldn't take up valuable internal HD space. I did this by following this howto http://hifiblog.com/past/2006/05/11...ou-dont-let-itunes-manage-your-music-library/
    Part 2 of that tells you to do some manual changes of the iTunes library data structure so that it will know to look in the new (external) location instead of the current location. In doing so, the program must have gotten majorly mixed up because I don't always have my external drive turned on. It all (mostly) makes sense now!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to make both iTunes and the USB work at the same time. I suppose I'll just reset the whole library and add everything from there.

Thanks again!!

11. A+Computer

A+Computer

Anytime man goodluck :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice