[SOLVED] insidious downloading software program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ragnar50

For the past several days my dial-up connections has been extremely slow & I just discovered why. Something has serruptiously added a downloading program to my PC that automatically loads each time I boot. It doesn't seem to be downloading anything but it sure hogs resources trying.

I'm not finding anything in Control Panel's Add/Delete program list that doesn't belong there.

I can see it running in the Close Program Option of Win 98 (using ctrl+alt+ del). It appears as "Downloading software..." and I can close it using the end task function (it takes several times).

I've scanned for viruses and Norton says I'm clean.

Anybody else run into this or any suggestions how to stop it from loading and preferrably delete it from my system.

Browser: IE 5.1 and Netscape 4.77
Anti-virus: Norton

What other info does anyone need to help?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi ragnar50, welcome to TSG...

Start button, run, then type msconfig, go to the start-up tab....look for something strange there and uncheck it.

Hello, ragnar50 & Welcome

Now can you give us more info like the name

of the prog please & have you had a look at a

very good prog by the name of Ad-aware

if not go here & download it to check your computer

for spyware here it is

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html

if you go & download it & need help with config lit me know

Good Luck

ragnar50

Sorry! Forgot to tell you I already looked at msconfig and couldn't find anything out-of-the-ordinary there.

I wish I could tell you the name of the program...that's the real problem I don't know what program is loading.

I will check out some of the spyware programs and let you know.

Thanks! I remain open to additional suggestions and input.

One other piece of info. sometimes when I press ctrl+alt+del it shows up as "resuming download of software"

Any suggestions on where to look in registry for this software?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
A quick question, you didn't by chance try downloading a new Internet Explorer version and it just hasn't finished????

ragnar50

Update:

Downloaded and installed Ad-aware. The scan did not provide any new info.

I use Windows Washer daily to eliminate all but a select few cookies.

Hoping for additional suggestions!

ragnar50

Good Thought!

I loaded IE from a CD....but your thought maybe on the right track...perhaps some other program did not finish downloading...I have a child who uses the PC and visits Disney...god only knows what she downloads.

If I have an unfinished download, how do I abort/cancel it when I don't know which program is involved?

Hi ragnar50,theres a new piece of spyware out there called Transponder.Fro what a read about it,it can beat zone alarm,and ad-aware.To check if you have this,go to Start>Run>type in regedit>Under the Hkey/Local/machine/Software/look for Transponder.Let us know if its there.

ragnar50

Thanks Beach51:

I checked and do not have Transponder.fro

Any other thoughts?

Ok,thats good.BTW,its just Transponder,not transponder.fro.Thats my fault throu,was starting a new line and spelled from wrong.Lets see what you have running at start up.Go to Start>Run.type in Msinfo32>Click on software enviroment>then startup programs>click edit>select all>copy>and paste the results back here.

ragnar50

Adobe Gamma Loader.exe Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe"
MultiPASS Background Startup Group C:\MPASS\MPSERVER.EXE
Pagis Tool Bar Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Pagis for MultiPASS\launchbar.exe"
NetTurbo Startup Group "C:\Program Files\SharewareOnline.com\NetTurbo\NetTurbo.exe" /startup
Data LifeGuard LifeLine Lite installer Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ins1.TMP\DLGLI.EXE /NoIntervention
Data LifeGuard Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Data LifeGuard\8263142\Program\backWeb-8263142.exe" -startup
Washer Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Washer\washer.exe /0
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\LOGITECH\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
NAV DefAlert Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
AdaptecDirectCD Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
Norton eMail Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
FinePrint Dispatcher v4 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fpdisp4a.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

Beach 51: I don't anything suspicious. Do you?

I have a meeting to attend and will be away from my PC for a couple hours but will check in on my return.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Ragnar50

Hello, ragnar50

Ok lit's try this please go to Regedit & then go to Edit tab

goto find & look for the name of the prog

Good Luck

First,you have to many programs running at startup.Go to this site and see what you need and dont need at startup.

http://rselby98.go2click.com/windows.html

If you want to try and see what program is causeing the problem,i think its probably BackWeb,but looking at the programs it looks like BackWeb is part of Life Guard.I throught they where two different programs.Go to the startup in Msconfig,and take the check mark out of that program(or if it is 2 programs)do both of them,click apply,ok then re-boot,see if the problem goes away.You will still have access to these programs,but they wont run at startup.That goes for all the other programs you have running,when you check out that site above,remove as much as possable from the startup,and you'll see a big differance in your system resourses.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online