1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Inspiron 5160 display, partial display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onsail, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onsail

onsail Thread Starter

Recently the backlight went out on the wifes’ laptop display. Thinking that I was pretty smart, I picked up a replacement on eBay.
    What came out of the laptop is a 15.0 XGA Samsung with a part number of 5F4G64512F.
    What I ended up with (my own fault) was a LG Phillips LP150X2 XGA Display. The cable is different, however it still plugs into the video card.
    So I figure ill give it a try any way.

The display only displays on two thirds (left side). See Signature for system info. .

What should I do? I’m lost.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. silvershield

silvershield

Does it appear to "run off" the screen? (if you move your mouse all of the way to the left side, does it disappear?) Sounds like a simple alignment problem, there should be a "autoset" feature on the monitor you can press to calibrate it.
    Also in the display settings (under advanced) somewhere there should be a calibration feature in there also.

3. onsail

onsail Thread Starter

No running off here. It actually displays all of the info in the top left using about 2/3rds of the screen and the mouse does not run off. I guess I should also have mentioned that the display repeats it self in the bottom 1/3 of the screen including the mouse pointer.
    Eric

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This is a laptop, the advice above refers to a desktop monitor using an analog connection.

The laptop is digital all the way, no calibration feature is provided or needed.

Sound like a straight incompatability, there is no "standard" between makes and models, they are largely propritary.

5. onsail

onsail Thread Starter

I was afraid of that!

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you are creative enough, you could still blame the error on the wife?

Or is it too late for that now....?

7. silvershield

silvershield

I would call the manufacturer and get a replacement part for the backlight.

8. onsail

onsail Thread Starter

:-\ Wife already knows me too well LOL and I ll order the inverter from Dell and see what happens.
    thanks,
    Eric

9. onsail

onsail Thread Starter

Ok, after the advice here I ordered the inverter card and replaced it on the old screen, voila it works perfectly. Selling the wrong one on e-bay.
    Thanks for the help,
    Eric

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice