1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plysne, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

I have a computer that the hard drive is starting to make Indy 500 noises 3-4/day. Decided to purchase new HD and transfer date over to it before the other one hits the wall. Extensive amount of data is backed up on external HD using Acronis software from which I have never had to use the restore function. Presently running XP home ed. QUESTION! I have no more slots, data cables or power cables free. Can I temporarily unhook my zip drive cables and insert them into new drive just to complete this new install? If that is OK, do I Fdisk and format new drive from present drive to get NTSF before data transfer or do the drives come pre-formatted with NTSF? As to actual transfer of all data is it best to use Windows Explorer and copy all programs so I know hidden and R/O files are transferred or has anyone restored a full HD using Acronis so I know that when swapping new HD from slave to the slot where present drive resides and becomes the bootable drive, all will FLAWLESSLY work like intended and then re-hook up zip drive. Never had to replace HD with this many GB of data and # of programs before. Always threw the whole works in the dumpster because entire system needed to be upgraded. Any flowsheet of how to perform this task will be greatly appreciated. You guys have'nt let me down yet. Hoping for another smooth transition for a really common procedure I would guess. Thanks so much! Paul

2. bigbear

bigbear

Is this a retail disc? normally they come with a floppy that allows you to copy the entire contents from one disc to the other.
    If not retail you can download the software from the hard drive websight.
    I understand the Acronis option will work but I have never done it myself.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as the zip drive is ide, then you can use that ide channel to connect your new drive.

I would use acronis to clone the disk. I have done this many times and never had a problem with acronis doing a disk clone.

To clone a disk with acronis.

1 Install your new disk. DO NOT format or partition it; just install as it comes out of the box.
    2 Boot with your acronis cd and choose clone disk from the menu.
    3 Choose source and destination drives.
    4 Do the clone.
    5 When the clone process is finished, shut down and remove your old drive. Install the cloned drive as the master. Now boot with just the new [cloned] drive and make sure you can boot, drive letters are correct, etc. Note do not reboot with the old drive still connected and set as master. This will result in drive letter problems.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW acronis will allow you to change partition sizes on the new drive. You have the option to resize, keep the same percentage size, or just clone. This is very useful when cloning a small drive to a much larger new drive.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I normally just pull all the devices off the secondary IDE channel and connect the new drive to the end of the cable for transfers. Eliminates any possibility of jumpering conflicts.

6. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

John, are you suggesting to undo cables to not only the zip but also the 2 CD cables and scanner attached through a USB port before proceeding? Acronis only allows emergency boot disk to 3" drive which I don't have and Bios won't allow boot off portable disk attached by USB. Acronis resides on portable drive connected by USB. Boot up off old HD, access acronis on portable drive and clone to new disk using one of the CD/Zip cables? Will this still keep old drive assignments straight after I substitute new drive as primary upon removal of old HD and reattach CD and Zip cables? Thanks for your reply. It sounds like Acronis clone is the best way to transfer all the data. I'm sure the new drive I purchase will be larger that the original OEM drive that came with box.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice