1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install of brand new HDD & new, legal copy of XP Pro goes nowhere...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by webzter, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hello;

Have attempted to install a brand new & legal copy of XP Pro as well as the pc's (Compaq Evo N620C) original restore disk (W2000) on a brand new Seagate 60GB ATA hard drive and I get one of two responses (along with a failed installation).... "SET-UP IS INSPECTING COMPUTER'S HARDWARE CONFIGURATION"..... then stops and fails to go any further, and, ......"NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR- REPLACE AND STRIKE ANY KEY WHEN READY"....reinsertion of the disk produces the same message and goes no further.

I do have an old copy of Windows 98se that appears to be recognized by the pc and probably could be installed, but I would rather not. I started it up just enough to determine whether or not the pc and hdd would recognize the program, and it did....can anyone suggest what I am dealing with here and what can be done to get one of thes programs up and running, preferably the XP?

Many thanks in advance
    Webz

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The restore/recovery CD won't work because you've replaced the hard drive and no longer have the same hardware that was in that computer when you bought it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

To use the XP Pro CD, you need to set the boot order in the BIOS to where the CDROM(or DVDROM) drive is listed first, then insert the CD and boot from it.

When you see the Press any key to boot from CD prompt, you're ready to go. You need to create a new C partition, format that partition in the NTFS file system, then install XP Pro.

(Note: I've done this many times in the past, but only with IDE hard drives. If it doesn't work for you with an ATA hard drive, someone else will need to assist you.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi flavallee.......

Appreciate the reply, thank you, but I DO have the the boot order starting with the cd-rom (it was the first thing I checked when the install failed), and I'm sorry I mis spoke, the drive IS an IDE, not an ATA. I understand about the restore disk, just thought it peculiar that it initiated the.... "installed hardware" search- any other suggestions?

thanks again!

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

I just went back into BIOS to make certain I was right about the boot order, and while I am correct re the order, noticed that the two options, the hdd and the multibay device (s), compaq's swapable multi-drive bay system, are gray AND CANNOT BE ACCESSED/CHANGED-could this be the problem? The devices are set-up as the cd-rom #1 (multibay) and the hdd #2 as far as the boot order goes, but why aren't they accessible and how can I get to control them?
    thanks again

5. nessyguin

nessyguin

In BIOS can you revert to Default settings ?

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

nessyguin, thanks for the reply....applied BIOS default settings but it did not enable control over the boot devices/drives-
    Webz

7. nessyguin

nessyguin

Where did you get the PC from ? I'm not being nosey - just that some firms have BIOS settings locked at the factory to avoid their staff from fubar . If you have one of these as a hand-me-down or old stock clearance that might explain what's going on . I honestly dont know if resetting CMOS would help but can think of nothing else ...

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the CDROM/DVDROM drive is listed first in the boot order, it's unknown to me why your computer won't boot from the XP CD. :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

flavallee....me as well....the cd-rom is definately first, but did you see where I am also unable to access it (in Bios) and the boot order cannot be enabled/disabled or changed? Is there a reason why and could this be what's causing the problem? How about if I were to install W98se, which is being recognized and appears to be installable? Then I could upgrade it to XP from there? I don't have the boot floppy for it, but the pc also does not have a fdd, and I also read where you can install 98se without it-
    Thanks

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You definitely don't want to install 98SE first and then upgrade to XP over it. You want to do a fresh install of XP. Installing 98SE first and then upgrading to XP leaves a lot of 98SE remnants behind. 98SE also uses the FAT32 file system and XP uses the NTFS file system.

Installing 98SE is also more difficult and time-consuming and requires a full-bootable startup floppy disk and a full version 98SE CD. You also have to deal with the problem of finding 98SE drivers for the hardware(display adapter, sound device, network adapter, etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not there to see your BIOS setup screen, so I can't answer your question.

-------------------------------------------------------------

11. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Can you think of any reason why, given the existance of a correct boot order, plus a new hard drive (verifiably working) and a new, legal copy of XP Pro, why I can get this program installed?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm as stumped as you are. :confused:

Hopefully, someone else can resolve your problem. You might have better luck posting the problem in the Hardware section.

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice