1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install of Win7 Put Computer Into Coma

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Writenow, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

I purchased an HP Win7 64-bit Computer which came with a horrible version of the OS. I purchased a new Win7 64-bit disc (with key) online. Installed yesterday. Result: No internet. No Wi-fi. Dead USB ports, so no mouse. I did manage to find and run Windows FixIt. It gave me a list of missing drivers, which I cannot download and they cannot update because I have no internet connection. ....SCREAM. SCREAM.

I don't know if taking it to the computer hospital, or having a tech over would even help. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you looked at the HP site for the driver needed for this machine?

What was so bad about the factory installed OS that you had to replace it with a online retail copy?

Now that you have installed this online retail copy, your new machine warranty in now invalid.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that HP computer?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

-------------------------------------------------------

4. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

1. I did not look at the HP site for the driver - because I can't download the driver - because the machine cannot access the internet. I could use this computer to download the driver, but then what? I can't use the USB ports to install the driver and I can't think of any other way to get the needed drivers onto the Win7 harddrive. Is there some other way?

2. The factory installed OS was a disaster that would not let me Uninstall the crap on it, would not let me use an uninstaller, would not let me get into safe mode, and on and on. None of which has anything to do with current problem.

3. Of course I am aware that the warranty is invalid. Another thing which has nothing to do with current problem.

Back to the question of how to install the needed drivers given current limitations.

Thanks.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If the USB ports are not working on the new OS, then I would say that the new OS is the problem.
    A legal copy of Windows comes with generic drivers that will work for MOST devices.

Where did you get this new copy from on the internet?

Sounds like you need to get a set of HP DVD's to rebuild this machine with the correct OS and device drivers.

Are you NEW to Windows 7?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you answer the questions in post #3 so we can confirm the identity of that HP computer, we can help you.

Is that disc for Home Premium or Professional or Ultimate?

Where did you purchase it from?

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Yep bought it on the internet. SUPPOSED to be a legal copy. I've complained to the seller, haven't heard back.

Don't know how to get a set of HP DVDs. Like I said what was on there before this was like one big virus.

And yes, I agree. The problem now is the new OS is definitely the problem now. I had a problem with the original OS. Now I have a problem with this OS.

8. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium.

A seller thru Amazon.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Amazon link you purchased it at would be more helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------

You still haven't answered the questions in post #3, so we still don't know the identity of your HP computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

10. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Here's where I bought it: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Home-...1534785&sr=8-4&keywords=Windows7+HOme+Premium

And here is where I asked about it before purchasing (I am kellin): http://www.amazon.com/About-Dell-th...Mx1O0PHSOJDN8E9&cdSort=oldest#Mx1O0PHSOJDN8E9

11. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Here's an update:
    I was just on a chat with HP site after trying to download drivers there. I didn't tell them I'd overwritten their OS with what I thought would be a better one. I was unable to download drivers because — wouldn't you know it — they are have problems with drivers on their site. But assure me they are now working on it and it should be fixed within 24 hours.

And suddenly I'm wondering if that is what caused the problem in the first place. During the installation process, I was provided little bits of info that told me the computer would go online for updates and that it would reboot several times. I'm guessing now that the drivers weren't available and so the install failed to finish correctly. If that is the case, then it would seem that if I could get internet access, maybe I could just reinstall the OS and everything would be good.

12. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Sorry. ---- HP Pavilion 500-267c

13. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

I have an appointment with the eye doc in 20 minutes. Will be back soon. Thanks for trying to help.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a HP Pavilion 500-267c Desktop PC (F3E28AA) that originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

You refer to it as "a horrible version of the operating system", but you purchased the exact same operating system from Amazon (see below thumbnail), so I'm somewhat confused as to what you've done. :confused:

The recovery disc kit for it can be purchased here and would include the operating system and drivers and software that originally came in it.

These appear to be the primary Windows 7 drivers for it:

Intel H87 Chipset (sp65025.exe)

Intel HD 4400/4600 Graphics (sp65024.exe)

IDT 92HD65C High Definition Audio (sp65023.exe)

Realtek RTL8151GH-CG Ethernet (sp62847.exe)

Atheros AR5B125 Wireless (sp63247.exe)

Attached Files:

15. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thank you for the link!!

Thanks for the driver info.

The Win7 Home Premium was not what I was complaining about. It was HPs OEM version of Win7 Home Premium. As to my version being the same as yours, well. Did you have popups and redirects and things disappearing? Were you able to use Uninstall software? If so, could it be used to uninstall anything or only certain applications? Were you able to get into Safe Mode? Could you get anything done at all?

I had a similar problem when I bought this (lovely) XP machine. It cost me a $300 phone call to Microsoft support to find out it was HP I was supposed to be dealing with. It took 4 hours of more phone calls to HP just to get MS Office trial uninstalled and then 2 more hours when I found it alive and well at the next reboot. Finally the tech got tired of me and admitted the problem was their OEM version of WinXP. Another $200 and I had a fresh XP disk and not one problem since. SO - when I bought this computer, I was not surprised to run into similar issues. SO I thought it would be just as simple to fix as last time.
    But, no.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!