1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install on Laptop with SATA HD and no floppy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FijiJohn, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

The XP CD does not see the SATA HD. The owner "accidentally" deleted a partition and now it complains about no ntldr and no hal.dll. There also is no floppy drive. How can I get the SATA driver to load during repair/install. It's an Acer Extensa 5220 and I do not (yet) know what HD is in there but I am assuming it is the Intel interface on the laptop.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Some BIOS allow for an alternate way to install on SATA drive . . Go into the BIOS and check the "Sata operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA" if it is not already. Now try to install XP

3. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Bingo!! In this BIOS is it AHCI vs. IDE but changing it did the trick. THANK YOU!!!!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. The alternatives seem to be loading as SATA driver from a floppy (if present) or slipstreaming the driver into the XP installation CD. One person here had success loading the driver from a USB thumb drive, but I don't know how universally applicable that method would be.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Vinaka vaka levu! (Thank you very much in Fijian)

I had to further mess with his partitions, then do an OS repair, but in the end we were both excited to see it boot all the way up. And I made him promise to do a full image BEFORE attempting any more partition play. :)

7. bardos

bardos

i have the same laptop and i see NO option for changing the sata to ide in the bios. where is this?

8. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

I don't have it in front of me but look for AHCI (advanced host controller interface - which means the SATA interface in this case) and the toggle/alternative may be something like "traditional IDE".

9. bardos

bardos

it's my bios, it is an old one 1.16. i have to upgrade to at least 1.21 i think to get this option.

i have downloaded some bios files, but they are meant to be loaded from within windows and i want to do it from DOS. can you help with that?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice