1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install problem- please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grinandbearit, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grinandbearit

grinandbearit Thread Starter

Due to malware, I had to reinstall windows and now I can't get past the desktop screen with a message to activate windows. If i choose yes, it just sits there, if i choose no it shuts down. I cant boot into safe mode either. Any ideas?

2. grinandbearit

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm sorry to see how little attention you've been recieving. Personally I've never experienced this issue so I don't know what to do. I'm guessing that you've already tried running the format and install a second time, if not try it because it may at least get safe mode to work.

You'll need safe mode if you want to use the method outlined here (though it is something of a rant) and see if that helps.

4. grinandbearit

Yes I've tried running the cd again, but nothing happens.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Please Confirm:
    You have installed XP (at least twice).
    Rather than being allowed to login, you are getting the activation screen when you turn the computer on.
    You cannot reach safe mode with the F8 button.
    You have a genuine Windows XP key, but in spite of this cannot activate.
    If you can give a few details about the computer, such as the model and the version of XP you want to install, it will probably prove useful, if not now when somebody with more experience than I decides to help.

If I have understood that linked page correctly the writer couldn't activate because the network card hadn't been set up yet. The activation program takes information about the computer hardware, including the network card, to identify the computer. Without that hardware, it therefore couldn't activate. He solved it by downloading and installing the network card driver in safe mode, but you say you cannot reach safe mode.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you use an actual Windows XP CD or did you use a recovery/restore CD?

Did you format the hard drive first(booted from the XP CD, deleted all current partitions, created a new C partition, formatted the new C partition in the NTFS file system) before you reinstalled XP?

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. grinandbearit

I ran the actual windows xp cd and was given several choices. I can't remember them all, but I chose 'install windows xp". I was hoping to see a repair or reformat option, but didn't. When it was finished, it kept rebooting awhile. Then I shut it down by hand and when it came back up it had a message about activating and I could choose yes or no. When I chose yes, it went to my desktop (the old background picture I had before which was surprising) and it just sat there. no icons or anything. When I chose no, it would just shut down.

Can't do safe mode with the F8. Yes, it's a genuine windows cd and key. I don't know the model. The version is windows sp2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Advertisement
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    HP ProLiant DL380 G6

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you boot from the XP CD and have the Press any key to boot from CD command appear?

It's a full version XP SP2 CD and has the 25-digit product key?

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. grinandbearit

Yes, but it does not respond to any keys.

10. grinandbearit

Yes full version etc

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're using a USB or wireless keyboard, you need to switch to a PS/2 keyboard.

12. grinandbearit

okay- i'll try that. you think it will make a difference really?

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes.

You didn't mention whether your XP is Home or Pro, so I'm giving you links to pictorial install guides for both versions.

XP Home

XP Pro

I suggest you read them and view the images before you start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready to go off-line for the night. I'll check back with your thread in the morning. Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------

14. grinandbearit

Thanks so much. The keyboard was the problem. I never would have thought of it. I tried to just do a repair, but had the same "activation" message on a frozen screen. When I chose to do a full format and install, the link you supplied really helped me out. Thanks again! Linda

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice