1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] install probs with xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ian.p.h, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

I am trying to install xp pro as an upgrade from 98se, but when it tries to copy files it comes to windows media player 2 and tells me that it can't copy the files. so I choose to quit the install until I got some more info. it gives the option to skip the file, try again, or quit. is there a way to uninstall win plr 2? any help would be great. thanks

2. askhan

askhan

Uninstall Media Player 2 first by going to ControlPanel - Add/Remove Programs, and then try XP installation/upgrade.

Good luck..

3. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

i also thought of that, but its not listed in the add/remove programs, what would happen if i just skipped that file?

4. askhan

askhan

Pl. try these:

** From Add/Remove Programs/Windows set-up, Uncheck the "Multimedia' component. Try to upgrade. OR

** First Upgrade/Install 'Windows Media Player 7' on your system and then try upgrading to XP. OR

** Skip the file, and proceed with the rest of the installation.
    You may not have Windows Media Player 8 (which comes with XP).
    Install Windows Media Player 7 later on (of course, you'll not be able to use some features which come with WMP 8).

Good Luck..

5. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

i solved the problem. instead of quitting i skipped the file and it seems to be working fine(famous last words). but i thank eveybody for their help.

6. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for sharing the good news. I will mark this thread solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice