Solved: install windowsXP Pro (student) on SATA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computer_pet

Hi,

I just want to verify I can install windows XP Pro upgrade (student/academic version) on a new 200GB SATA drive.

The sata drive will be the only HDD in the desktop PC, I will insert the XP disc and boot from it; at some time I will have to press F6 and insert a floppy with drivers for the SATA drive.

And as this is a upgrade version I need to supply another version of windows; so I can put in an old Windows98 disc. Is that right or do I have to install windows 98 first then XP and if so I do I install 98 on a sata drive?

I am getting the student version of Windows cause you save like $120 dollars; but there is nothing different from a normal Windows XP pro is there? I was planning on installing Visual Studio .net and MS SQL on this computer; I will be able to do this right (I know windows XP home does not have IIS so some elements do not work in VS if on a home version; but the student version has IIS right?)

Sorry if this has been answered millions of times, hope you can understand my bad english this late at night :)

Thanks in advance
:D

1. I just want to verify I can install windows XP Pro upgrade (student/academic version) on a new 200GB SATA drive.

YES!

2. The sata drive will be the only HDD in the desktop PC, I will insert the XP disc and boot from it; at some time I will have to press F6 and insert a floppy with drivers for the SATA drive.

Maybe it depends on the PC and the disk controller, as sometime SATA is hidden from the OS.

3. And as this is a upgrade version I need to supply another version of windows; so I can put in an old Windows98 disc. Is that right or do I have to install windows 98 first then XP and if so I do I install 98 on a sata drive?

It is recommended and easier to install Windows 98 first and then XP. Windows 98 maybe not install as there is not support for SATA within 98, but if the PC/disk controller hidden the fact you are using a SATA drive you will be able to install it.

4. I am getting the student version of Windows cause you save like $120 dollars; but there is nothing different from a normal Windows XP pro is there? I was planning on installing Visual Studio .net and MS SQL on this computer; I will be able to do this right (I know windows XP home does not have IIS so some elements do not work in VS if on a home version; but the student version has IIS right?)

Yes, IIS is included.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Dan, why would you install W98 first? I'd just fire up the XP install, and it'll ask for the qualifying media, you stick the W98 CD in, then continue on with the XP install. Installing W98 is not necessary.

I thought they wanted to install both and I was providing what to install first. I had both 98 and XP installed on one of PCs so I could run some of my older software. But I found out that I did not need 98 any more because I could use Windows XP's Compatibility mode to run my older stuff. I love XP!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think he just wants to install XP, unless I'm reading the first post wrong. :)

computer_pet

Thanks for your replies; the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-8S661FXM-775 so can anyone tell me if they appear as normal drives?

Just want windows XP; 98 not needed :)

Thanks again :D

Appear as normal drives where? Once installed Windows will treat it as any other hard drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
SATA drives on an Intel based MB will appear as normal drives, most others will require you to load the drivers during the installation. After that, they work just like any other drive.

computer_pet

Ok this will be my last question :p
When requested to insert qualifying media; does it also request for that media's serial number because I do not know where the serial for my 98 disc is. But I do have a serial and original disc for XP Home so it should be okay.

Thanks everyone for your replies :D

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
kiwiguy said:
No, it does not ask for serials in cases that I have installed.

Kiwi is right, just did that recently!

computer_pet

Ok cool :)

I will mark this as solved then; and when my parts arrive on monday I will tell you how it goes :D

Thanks everyone for your help

computer_pet

Well everything went fine; the motherboard bios has a setting to change sata drives as IDE or RAID so as I was not using raid I selected IDE and I did not need to install any additional drivers before I installed windows so that was good. Only strange thing is that the HDD is appearing as 186GB only (suppose to be 200GB Seagate), but I guess that does not matter that much :p

Thanks again for everyone's help.

200 GB (200,000,000 bytes) as specified by the drive manufacturer is decimal.

When Windows displays it as Binary GB it will be 186 GB
(200/1.024/1.024/1.024 = 186)

So nothing is wrong.
Apart from the marketing convention of advertsied drive capacity as base 10 numbers....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online