1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Install XP: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your compute

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpsolutions?, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

I have just replaced the IDE Harddisk on a compaq laptop with a new one. Trying to do a fresh install of Windows XP, before I can format this new disk, I get the following message...

" Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3 "

Going into the bios, I dont find anywhere that mentions SATA as in a number of forums advise to disable that in order for the computer to detect the IDE disk.

Anyone familiar with this to help with a solution?

all responses appreciated

2. Jarrhed

Jarrhed

You need your drivers for IDE/SATA depending on which it is, go to your motherboard manufacter's website and get the Storage or Sata or IDE driver from there. There should be something abnout a floppy drive and you will need to download that driver and put it on a floppy. You will then Press F6 before that screen pops up and let it see the driver and it should work

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You do not need to load any drivers for an IDE hard drive. I would go into bios and see if the IDE drive is detected. In the section of bios for your computer, find the hard drive area, then set the Primary Master Hard drive to Auto. It would also help us to find out what heading for you to look under if you gave us your system specs. Make and Model system if Big Bog Brand, or Make and Model Motherboard if custom built, also make and model Hard drive. Also make sure you have your jumpers on the back of the hard drive set properly.

4. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses, I found out the harddrive was not well connected. Someone had taken out some screws that were needed to fit it well inside the Laptop. After refitting it well.... it was bingo ... Detected!!
    Thanks once again,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/776832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice