1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installation Flash Player 11 Error: failed to register

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Barc777, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barc777

Barc777 Thread Starter

I get this problem when attempting to install FP 11. The installer comes up OK, then downloads FP11, gets past the 'downloading' part at 50%, then gets to 51% and gives the error.

I've tried going to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/163/fb1634cb.html, but nothing there works. It seems mostly to apply to FP10 and lower, anyway.

2. Sponsor

3. TOGG

TOGG

Did you go to the Adobe Troubleshooter page and follow the recommended steps there (including downloading and running the Adobe uninstaller)?; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html If it does its job properly, the uninstaller should remove the old Registry entries that seem to be causing your problem.

Running the uninstaller twice and rebooting before you attempt the reinstall may also help. Note that the uninstaller removes all the Flash plugins you have (except the one built into the Chrome browser). If you have any browsers other than Internet Explorer installed, you will need to get the non Active X version for it/them.

4. Barc777

Barc777 Thread Starter

OK, when I went to the link you specified, and checked the About FP page, it says I have 11,0,1,152 installed (even though Add/Remove says I still only have the plug-in for non-ActiveX).

I went through the uninstallation steps, and verified that it was not installed. When I went to the download page and attempted to install it, I got a message about the registry and ActiveX.

I went through the steps to change the Internet Options, and tried to install again afterward. No luck.

And, just for the heck of it, I successfully downloaded & installed the plug-in for other browsers. Of course, that meant I had to run the uninstaller again...

And, yes, I tried both as myself (I have admin rights), and as the Administrator. Neither worked.

5. TOGG

TOGG

Flash has been updated (yet again) to 11.1.102.55, although I don't think that would be the cause of your problem.

I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing when you attempt to upgrade Flash in Internet Explorer (which is what I assume you're trying to do?). In my Add/Remove list I have an entry for the Active X version (because although I don't use IE, I keep it up to date) and an entry like this for the version used by my Opera and Firefox browsers "Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin"

It seemed very simple to me to update IE because you just went to the downloads URL;http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ using IE and the whole process took place while you were online. You had to refuse the Google toolbar (unless you wanted it) and then accept various options to complete the install. Now you get a 741 KB .exe file which, when doubleclicked, completes the installation of the full 3.62 MB package although , if I remember correctly, you still need to agree to the running of Active X controls etc.

If you try the installation again, make a note of the full text of any error messages you get and post them here. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to help.

6. Barc777

Barc777 Thread Starter

The first installation, the automatic one, gives me the error I put in the subject line: Error: failed to register.

When I attempt to download & install manually, I get the slightly different error that says: The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered. (You can see it on the Error Messages page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_191...es_displayed_during_Flash_Player_installation; it's the last error message screenshot.)

7. marksm

marksm

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 Beta is available for download here.

It may works for you.

8. Barc777

Barc777 Thread Starter

Beta didn't work; same error with the ActiveX message.

9. Cramer64

Cramer64

Anybody know anything? I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I've tried everything from Adobe's page, tried installing older versions, upgraded to IE9, and no change at all. It's a Win7 x64 machine.

10. reva12

reva12

Hi,

I have a 32-bit computer with Windows XP Professional SP3.

Both IE8 and Mozilla FireFox browsers are installed.

I am having trouble installing the activex control for IE8 for the latest version of flash player (WIN 11,1,102,55).

I used the install latest version page on the adobe site (using IE browser itself) so that the activex (without the google toolbar) gets installed directly . (The precise name of the executable is: install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbd_aih.exe. Have no idea what aih could stand for though. )

It goes through to almost the 60% of the installation process and says: "Error; failed to register".

I have never before had problems installing the new versions of the flash player activex on IE8. This is the first time this error comes up.

But FireFox flash install goes through and works just fine.

[Note:

1. I tried to reinstall the older version (10, 3 r183) activex using the offline file - install_flash_player_10_active_x.

Same "failed to register" error.

2. I also tried lowering the security "trusted zone", "internet zone" levels to medium, etc. (and then installing the new version) as suggested on Adobe's help page for troubleshooting flsah installs on IE.

But that did not help.]

(So for now, I have restored the system to an earlier point to have flash player working in both browsers and then installed the Flash Player new version just in FireFox.)

Would appreciate any insight and help.

Thanks.

11. TOGG

TOGG

Did you work your way through all the suggestions in the Troubleshooter, in particular, running the Adobe uninstaller and rebooting before trying to install the new versions of the plugin?

12. reva12

reva12

Thanks for the response.

Yes; I uninstalled the older version using the uninstaller provided by Adobe before the unsuccessful install of the new version. (Always have done that for every update.) Yes, I also rebooted before the (attempted) install of the new version.

Only, IE is refusing the Activex version this time around with the error "Failed to register".

FireFox had no trouble installing or using the new version plugin.

Any other suggestions?

13. TOGG

TOGG

If you look at Barc777's post #5, you will see a link to an Adobe page which, in turn, links to a Microsoft advisory that mentions running a tool to modify the Registry.

Anything that modifies the Registry represents a risk of making the computer unusable if it were to go wrong. If you are absolutely desperate to use IE to view Flash content, you may have to consider following the Adobe/Microsoft advice (including backing everything up and creating a Restore point).

If I were in your shoes I would think seriously about running the uninstaller again to remove the out of date and insecure plugin from IE and then reinstall the latest version only in Firefox so that you have one up to date browser that can handle Flash. If IE won't run without a Flash plugin, you will have to weigh up the risks of running it with the out of date plugin which could be targetted by malware.

14. reva12

reva12

Thanks, TOGG.

I am not any expert to be fiddling around in the registry.

So, I will follow your advice and uninstall the older version of flash player from both FF and IE and install the latest version only in FF.

At least until the issue is resolved by Adobe, I will have to do without flash content on IE. But that is ok, as I hardly use that browser.:eek:

15. TOGG

TOGG

Me neither! Because I don't use automatic updates for Windows (which I am NOT recommending for anyone else to try), I get my updates by using Firefox and the IETab addon, which fools the MS update site into thinking that it's dealing with IE.

That is the only time any part of IE is used on this computer, except for those components it 'shares' with Windows Explorer of course!, (which is why I keep IE patched even though I don't use it).

16. Cramer64

Cramer64

My boss was able to install flash after receiving this error multiple times. He uninstalled the existing IE plugin, rebooted, and used firefox to download the ie version of the plugin. He closed all open programs, and then was able to successfully install. I still don't understand how this is different than all the troubleshooting I did.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice