1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Installation problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lawsonmorton, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

I have this very old computer that was running win 95, so i decided to upgrade it to 98, so i wiped it clean and tried to get win 98 on. It didn't accept it totally, when it restarts it tries to find some kind of dll file, and when i got to skip files as it can't locate it on the cd, it brings up a another file it can't find and would not for the life of me pick it up from the cd, so i lost count of the files it would not find, but every time i restart it wants some kind of file from the cd, which it is not picking up. So i got tired, so i decided to put back 95 on it, good grief it gave the same problem. What do I do, i have tried more than one version of 98 from different cd's and now it does not want to go back to 95 either. Mind you it was working fairly decently before, when it had 95 on it. It also has a ram drive, could this have anything to do with the problem. Anyone please help, I really feel like fixing this computer with a really big hammer. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello again!

It's important when you get error messages or missing file notices to write them down exactly and post them so that we can trace the source of the problem.

I am assuming you have a full retail copy of Win98se?

3. lawsonmorton

when i try to boot it gives me a set of files missing: vnetsup.vxd, nwlink.vxd, nwredir.vxd, nscl.vxd, vredir.vxd, ndis.vxd, ndis2sup.vxd and vnetbios.vxd, then it will say unable to load link library with some .dll file and some other file, it does not find and then it will ask for the 95 cd. Please help.

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
  5. paul selhi

paul selhi

most of the stuff it is looking for are netware related were you previously connecting to a netware server ?

do a complete format of the hard disk and boot from the cd, you should loose the refernces to clients for netware and netware redirectors

6. lawsonmorton

Thanks guys, I already got it Paul, thanks to that site from pyritechips. By searching the cd was able to find the missing files from the se98 cd, and loaded them, so now it is working find. Thanks again guys. You guys are always so helpful.

7. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    That's great lawsonmorton! Glad to help and glad all is well- happy 'puting!

:D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice