Solved: Installation problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slothmeister

A couple of days i formated and had fresh install of windows on my system, and i'm pleased to say that it has screwed my system up.

I am now unable to install any games!!

Firstly when trying to run GTA:SA the disc loads up and gets to the splash screen and an error comes up and says DemoShield Player has encountered a problem blah blah... So i try and run the setup exe from the disc by itself and get another error: Setup has experienced an error. Please do the following: Close any running programs, Empty your temp folder, check your internet connection. Then try to run the setup again. Error -6005

Then i try and run the PCGamer discs to load some demo's but the disc doesn't load up, instead i get another error: Macromedia Projector has encountered a problem blah blah... So i again try and run the games from explorer, find the file and load up the installer, gets halfway through and says: Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?? Whereas some other demo installers just freeze up!

Please help, i'm really beginning to regret this format now

Are all of these installation attempts from CDs? And do you have any problems installing programs off the hard drive?

The "error decompressing data" probably means the cab or compressed data files are getting corrupted (if not already corrupt) from disk to memory or hard drive.

... and for what it's worth it sounds like the installer being used is not the standard Windows Installer (msiexec) or InstallShield which would mean this is not a "Windows" problem per se.

slothmeister

AT first i thought that it might be a problem with the cd's but took the files off the cd and onto the hard-drive but still have the same problems. The installer for GTA:SA is actually the InstallShield installer.

slothmeister

right i have managed to pin point it, after much searching i discovered it was the new drivers for my nForce motherboard. Any ideas on how i can roll back drivers, never had to do it before so don't know where to look???

How did you "pinpoint" it?

Motherboard drivers can be an array of different things, so I'm not sure what to tell you to roll back.

Perhaps better, go to the Motherboard site and look for some older drivers for the board. These may be listed under "legacy" drivers or some similar category.

If you recently loaded these drivers following the orginal install, you may be able to restore to the older ones by doing a System Restore, but this will revert everything since installed. System Restores can be undone if not helpful

Not sure if this is what you might be looking for...

http://www.nvidia.com/page/search.html?page=1&keywords=nforce+xp&booleanMode=1

However if you are using a RADEON card on this motherboard -- the video category of these drivers would be inappropriate.

slothmeister

i did a complete re-install and just loaded the drivers one by one and testing them as i went, it finally boiled down to these latest drivers.

I eventually just went the add remove programs route and deleted the drivers that way, luckily i had an earlier version. So everything is running smoothly now.

Thanks for your help though, next time i have some problems i'll be straight back here.

No problem, that's the last thing I would have looked for given the issue was so specific.

I'll mark the thread Solved, but for future reference this option is available to you in the Thread Tools menu when appropriate.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online