1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installation/storing issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bromm83, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bromm83

Bromm83 Thread Starter

Hello all.
    I have recently run into some problems with my windows 7 home premium (64-bit)

Hardware (if relevant):
    Intel i7 - 840QM processor
    ATI Radeon HD5870
    INTEL Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Solid State Drive 34nm 2.5" SATA-300 9.5mm MLC
    500GB SATA 7200RPM 2.5"
    DOn't remember the name of the RAM, but 4GB DDR3

Problem 1:
    I can't start some installation files. I double click them, windows asks me if I want to let it make changes on my hard drive, I click yes, and the proces ends. This only applies to some installation files ( 5-6 so far). This is both downloaded file and, files on a DVD.

Problem 2:
    Similar to the first problem, but in stead of asking me if I want to allow it to make changes to the hard drive it comes with the error: "path not found".

Problem 3:
    WIMP (similar to spotify), told me yesterday that it couldn't save my preferences to a local file, because of permissions (this has not been a problem the last few months..)

Problem 4:
    Trying to start a game through Steam makes that game start in a small windowed mode and it can't find my savegames

Problem 5:
    Had a couple of freezes.

Problem 6:
    My windows is unable to restart into "restore mode" (I have no idea what it is called in english versions of the OS, but it basicly lets you return the OS to factory default).

Problem 7:
    My manufacturer's solution to the problem was tapping F8 at startup to get the advanced menu up where there should be a repair windows option wich would let me restore windows to it's original state. It wasn't there..

Why would I put all this into one post? Well it all happened around the same time (during the last week or so), so I figured they are all connected...

And what have I done before coming here?

1. I have run every fixit program I could find on microsofts pages that remotely could be connected. They told me they fixed some problems, but they didn't fix any problems I knew about, and therefore didn't solve the issues I am having...

2. I have run CCleaner, SuperAntiSPyware (selecting it to search through everything), AVG Scan.

3. I have tried turning off firewall

4. I have tried starting one setup file from safe mode.

5. I have run a mem test

EDIT: I have also tried running them as administrator...

Normally I manage to fix any problem jumping up on me in wondows, at least set it back to factory default, but this time I met a wall... Anyone able to help me find a solution?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What memory test did you run?

Make sure that you have the system backed up in case of drive failure, which is a possibility. Then you will be able to restore it to a new drive, if needed.

Try a manufacturer's test (after backup - tests can kill a sick drive, too).

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

HDTune, the full scan, not the "quick", can also give you some information on the drive.

(This is quite possibly all one problem, so the frugality of your single post is probably wise.)

Have you tried more than one type of scan for malware?

3. Bromm83

Bromm83 Thread Starter

Thank you for a quick answer.
    I have only tried superantispyware and windows malware thingie.

When it comes to testing the RAM, I used windows memory tester.

As of testing my hard drive I have tried downloadign the intel SSD Toolbox, but it can't uncompress the archive it tells me.

Tried downloading the HDTune, then it get the "Can't find the path error".

The OS in run from the SSD btw.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you tell us exactly what steps you followed for the download and when in that process the path error appeared? Where did you choose to download the file, desktop?

(Forget the testing of the drive. An SSD is a different ball of wax. You could, however, still check the SMART status.)

Have any tools, like so-called "registry cleaners" been used on this machine?

Have you checked for a restore point from before this all started? They can be easily reversed if you don't get the desired results from using one.

5. Bromm83

Bromm83 Thread Starter

registry cleaners have been used, but not for a long time (and once after it started happening), only used ccleaner for this.

downloading has been to both temp folder, downloads folder and desktop. tried both run and save. have reverted to the earliest restore point i could find, wich was three days earlier and got me nowhere.

what is smart status?

6. Bromm83

Bromm83 Thread Starter

I have now also run "perfmon.exe /report" - and it found no errors... How can that be? There is clearly something wrong..

Edit: also tried repair function from windows dvd. Didnt work. Now i just formated the drive and I am currently installing windows again...

7. Bromm83

Bromm83 Thread Starter

Marked it solved since reinstall worked

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make backups. Sleep better. Have more fun. [​IMG][​IMG]

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!