1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installation: unzip music program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chueh, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I downloaded Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 to the "downloads" folder. I used winRAR to TRY to unzip and extract to the folder I created under "Program Files." However, it says that nothing could be unzip under a temp folder.

OK, so I moved the zipped file also under Program Files, but still WinRAR says "! C:\Program Files\PersonalOrchestra4\Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_4.02_WIN.zip: Cannot create WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_4.02.exe
    Access is denied."

What should I do now? Thanks

2. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

So... don't know what to do, I tried downloading winzip190. However, it was blocked by Chrome. I checked reviews and comments. It's blocked because it came with some other bundle programs, which were detected by Chrome as harmful.

Anyway, I downloaded 7-zip. Happily to try this unzip program, as if it were solve all my problems. After it reached its 100% extraction, ERROR message said, " cannot open output file: ............(the same path as what's mentioned above)"

What's wrong???

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Try downloading again, the file could be corrupted.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Also, UAC could be restricting access to the Program Files folder.

Are you able to extract to a different location (for example: C:/aaa)?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It will restrict writes to Program Files. Even Administrator needs elevated permission.

6. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Thank you. You guys ROCK(y) Indeed, it's all due to Program Files. I am not a computer geek, but I'd like to know why it's not allowed to do so. If you can explain it in a simple way, I would appreciate it. If it's too hard to explain or too technical, then don't worry about it!!!

7. DaveBurnett

Microsoft decided to do it, allegedly to make Windows more secure.

8. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Hm.... secure!!!! I am not sure I got that! Why would an application under Program Files affect its security?

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It's not "an application under Program Files" issue. It's about not allowing programs to write to the Program Files folder. If Malware, for example, can't write to the HDD (Programs Files folders), it will prevent you from being infected.

If you aren't concerned about getting infected, you can disable UAC. Which is not recommended for the average user.

10. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I see. Thanks bunch

11. DaveBurnett

It is not only to stop programs being put in the program folder, it is also to stop malware from updating programs that are already in there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice