1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installed a range extender, now can only connect to the extender

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jazz2451, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazz2451

jazz2451 Thread Starter

I recently installed a Hawking N range extender on my network to support a Roku that my husband got for Christmas. The Roku works great now, but my laptop sometimes connects to the main network (the way I always connected before the range extender) and sometimes to the range extender (which has the same network settings as the main router). Now I can only connect to the range extender. I have not changed any of the settings. The network pass key is the same for both. Why can't I connect directly to my original network. Both the range extender and the network name are listed in network connections.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you configure the range extender to have the same SSID and same encryption key, but different wireless channels, you'll be able to seamlessly roam between them.

3. doctorscott

doctorscott

Can you try to ping the router? Have you change any IP address on the devices?

Make sure the IP addresses of the router and the extender is on the same range.

You may try first in doing a power cycle on the network, just to sync the devices again. Turn off your extender first then the router, wait for 10 secs then turn ON the router first then the extender.

Afterwards try to a connection test by using PING on the computer that is connected to the expander then try Pinging the router. See if they have connection or not.

If they are not connecting double check the settings again of the router and the extender.

Keep me posted.

Happy to help.
    drScott

4. jazz2451

jazz2451 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. I had a little bit of a problem finding the ip address of the extender - it wasn't the one in the literature that came with it, but once I figured that out, I was able to change the SSID and complete your suggestions. Thanks again!:)

5. doctorscott

doctorscott

That's good to hear..

Thanks

drScott

6. JohnWill

How it working with the new configuration?

7. jazz2451

jazz2451 Thread Starter

Very well. Thanks again for your help!:)

8. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899523