1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installed i5-2500k And Can't Use GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luvthesnapper, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luvthesnapper

luvthesnapper Thread Starter

I dropped an i5-2500k into my board today, and now the monitor won't show, if it's plugged into my gpu. I notice there is a new taskbar icon of intel graphics. Is that overriding my gpu? The monitor only shows when its plugged into my mobo.

The gpu isn't even showing under the device manager anymore.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you accidently knock the video card loose or unplug it's power connector?

Also, please post you full and complete computer specs.

3. luvthesnapper

No, it's still bolted right where it was. The fan on it is spinning, and it seems fine. It just disappeared from windows.

i5-2500k
    ecs h61h1-m2
    seasonic 500 watt
    hd 6670
    4 gb ddr3 g-skill

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. luvthesnapper

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3242 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 61043 MB, Free - 22998 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, H61H2-M2
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I don't know why it's saying xeon processor. I pulled the card, and windows isn't seeing it to install it, when I put it back in.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you put your original CPU back in does the graphics card work again?

What BIOS version do you have? Do you have the required 09/07/2012 BIOS version?

7. luvthesnapper

i screwed up big time. my power supply is not 500 in this pc, its 350. i forgot that my other pc is 500. it shut down completely, and will not power back up. when i hit the power button, the fans wizz around for a few seconds, and just stop. nothing powers up beyond that.i guess i'll buy a new power supply, and see if i managed to destroy the whole thing, or not. im on my laptop now, just to be able to post.

i guess adding the i5-2500k was more than the psu could handle? i dont know...

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    350 Watt is well below what should be in the system. AMD recommends a 400 watt PSU with that graphics card. The 2500K could be using more power than your previous processor too, it depends on what you had.

Make sure to buy a quality power supply, Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake, and Seasonic are just a few good brands but also make sure you don't buy a cheap office/entry level power supply either. It's best to spend the money and get a good quality 500 or 600 watt PSU and be covered for years.

9. luvthesnapper

it had a 350 seasonic. it had g530 celeron, before the i5-2500k. i believe its pretty much one of the mildest sandy bridge processors you can buy. maybe the jump was just too much.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, the new processor is definitely a step up from the old one.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

12. luvthesnapper

no, i didnt update the bios. i just read in the manual it supported all second generation i5's. i just assumed that meant 2500k. windows device manager saw the 2500k though, and all of its cores, before it died. hopefully this thing starts back up with the g530 and a new power supply, so i can go get the new bios. its torture sitting here looking at it, wondering if its even going to power up again.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The problem with manuals is that they get outdated, while it may have supported all the i5's at the time of the release the thing is new processors get released all the time and future processors require a BIOS update for proper operation. Read the installation instructions carefully from the ECS website before updating the BIOS.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Even different stepping can require a bios update. As an example there are two 3350s with different stepping AND one requires a newer bios than the other. It is always best to check the mb support page for the latest bios and what it supports.

15. luvthesnapper

what do you think about using the blu bios update feature ecs offers? it seems it automatically updates bios for you, i think. you think it chooses the newest one, or is it dependant on the hardware you are running? i ask because ill be booting back up, and installing the new bios, with a g530 installed. i dont want it to think that this is the processor im keeping.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/eblu/index.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice