1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installed network card, but need driver

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gmcsierra99, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i put a network card in my Window 98 computer, but i have no internet onit. soo how am i going to download the drivers on to that computer? thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

If you can find the drivers at http://www.driverguide.com you can order a CD for, I think, $2.99. Or you can get a friend to burn it for you. You have to register at the Driverguide site, but it's free and they have almost any drivers you could need. If you order a CD, it also comes with lots of good free programs.

3. gmcsierra99

ok, i have a CD burner on this computer, but i havent used it since i got the computer lol, about a year ago.

4. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Well, that's not going to help if that computer doesn't have internet access. What computer are you on now? Does it have a CD burner? Is the driver small enough to fit on a floppy disk?

5. gmcsierra99

im on the new one, with the CD burner, and i didnt look for the driver yet, im going to do that right now.

6. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

If you can't find the correct driver, state the model of the network card so some-one can help find it for you.

7. gmcsierra99

ok, well the network card is a Compaq, do you think if i go on the copaq website that they will have the driver on there?

8. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

It's always good to try the manufacturers site. What's the model#?

9. gmcsierra99

not sure, i know it's a Compaq Presario 5835.

10. gmcsierra99

and would you know why my screen is black? (on my other computer) i unplugged it earliyer to put the card in and plugged it back in and got a black screen. i just turned it on now and i still have it on, i posted a thread with the problem, and im still waiting for a response, soo i just figured i would ask you.

11. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

You say in your other thread that you also added Ram. I have this one small(64MB) stick of Ram that works in one computer but only gives me a blank screen on the other even though they both use the same kind. So I would check to see if the Ram is compatible with your motherboard and make sure it's seated properly. While you're in there, look at the network card and try to get the exact name and model #; should be a sticker on the bottom.
    Here's a link to the drivers for your computer on the HP website. I'm not sure if your card came with your system but if it did these are the drivers.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...d=96393&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=20#11395

12. gmcsierra99

no it didnt come with my system, i went over my friends house last night, and he found me a Compaq network card.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice