1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installed OS on D:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Michelle234, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michelle234

Michelle234 Thread Starter

I used my install XP disk to do a clean install after a Win 7 install my instructor did didn't seem to work with the motherboard. So I was left with a computer with no sound and no help. So I went it alone at home.

I erased D: thinking that would allow me to format C: (which has 100MB of strange stuff on it - parts of Win7 I'd guess). Well, I guess I should have erased C: instead. So here I am automatically booting from D: drive. I thought that would be fine but another instructor told me I should have it all on C:

So, my questions are,

1. Is there a way I can just delete C: now and D: would suddenly become the C:?? Or do I have to go through the whole reinstall dance and setup config. again?

2. If I do have to do a whole new install should I update to SP3 or keep it at SP2 that comes on the disk? I've heard SP2 is the best but not sure if that will cause conflict for today's software,driver updates, etc.

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Use the XP install cd to repartition the drive. You'll be asked questions as it does its thing. I believe you can merge both partitions at that point, and you'll be warned that all data will be lost. And yes, you should update to SP3.

3. Michelle234

Thanks Bernardo. I put the install CD in and started over. It didn't give me an option for merging. It only allowed me to:
    1. delete the second partition, which I did.
    2. It said I couldn't install OS on C: because there wasn't enough space and
    3. it wouldn't let me delete C: it said "This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete installation."

So I F3'd out and tried again with the same result so I held down the power button (because it tried to start up again after 15 seconds). Any ideas?

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

5. Michelle234

Thank you for that link!

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

You're welcome. Let us know how you make out.

7. Michelle234

Okay, just did more research it looks like HP hasn't yet (or never will) made an update for the sound card in their Pavilion zv6000 - so No Win7 on this computer. Well, at least I like XP.

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

Sometimes XP drivers will work. But, if the system is that old, you may be better off to stay with XP.

9. Michelle234

Okay, I still couldn't get XP to load onto my C: and I couldn't delete it no matter what I did. The computer also didn't want to load from disk. I took it into class and the instructor used a different copy of XP and lo and behold it worked. The computer didn't want to load from the disk but finally it did and loaded on C: and all went smoothly.

The only thing we can think of is that the factory disk that came with the computer was corrupted. I guess that isn't a rare thing although getting a disk with your new computer it probably unheard of these days anyway. Thanks everyone for your help!

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

(y) Thanks for the update! Factory disk could have been scratched............

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!