1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installed SATA III card & 10,000 RPM drive and no speed increase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PeteComp, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PeteComp

PeteComp Thread Starter

I just installed a Western Digital VelociRaptor 1 TB hard drive and did not gain any speed according to the Windows Experience Index of 5.9. I then purchased a HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card thinking that since my motherboard is not SATA III, that was the problem. Exact same results. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard which is not AHCI compliant. Could that be the problem? From what I have read, AHCI will make the drive hot-swappable but not increase the performance that much. I thought the 10,000 RPM drive alone would make a big difference. Are there better (free) tests that I can run besides the Windows Experience. It bothers me that I have invested all of this money and did not increase the index at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ETech7

ETech7

3. PeteComp

PeteComp Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried the Atto Benchmark and did notice a difference. I have an internal D drive (7200 RPM) which reported a high write and read of 94,353 and 99,876 mb/s. The C drive (10000 RPM) reported a high of 130,043 and 178,560. This is a substantial difference. Why, then, didn't the Window's Index change at all? Thanks again for the links.

4. ETech7

ETech7

You are welcome. I am not too familiar with Windows Index algorythms, so I can't comment on that. What is important I think, that you confirmed your money were not spent for nothing.

5. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Your Windows Experience is based on your lowest score.

As you can see, even though I have an SSD, I have no separate graphics card installed and that brings my score down.

When I had an hdd, my score was 5.9.

Attached Files:

6. ETech7

ETech7

He may be talking about Primary hard disk part.

7. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

That's what I mean.
    When I had an hdd, my score on the Primary hdd was 5.9.

8. ETech7

ETech7

I suggested that he was talking solely about that part, but I may be wrong.

9. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

He is talking about his new hdd - he will never get a higher score without an SSD.

10. ETech7

ETech7

That also maybe true, but it's kinda odd because his read speed almost doubled.

11. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

That's just the way Windows Experience works.

12. ETech7

ETech7

Fair enough.

13. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Microsoft sure doesn't make it easy, does it?:eek:

14. ETech7

ETech7

Frankly, I never paid much attention to that metric. There much more descriptive tools out there. I am not sure if anybody uses it as a primary reference point.

15. PeteComp

PeteComp Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. So, PSCO2007, you're saying that the fastest I could get with ANY hard drive (non-SSD) is 5.9 using the Windows Experience Index? I don't have any partitions; just the VelociRaptor as my C drive and a regular SATA drive as my D. I don't care about the D drive since it is just data but I want my operating system to run at max speed. It's just curious that before the VelociRaptor with a 7200 RPM SATA drive I was at 5.9 and now with all of the improvements, I'm still at the same number. But, as ETech7 said, the Benchmark test does show a descent improvement so I don't feel so bad. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice