Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Installed Spyware

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  perfume 
#1 ·
My computer (Windows 7 OS) has both "Microsoft Security Essentials" and "Windows Defender" installed. Currently "Microsoft Security Essentials" is turned "on". Should both programs be "on"? Will they work well together?

#2 ·
Dear L Henry,
MSE seems to have scored some good points! I guess it's wise and nice to keep it. What is your experience with it? Windows Defender has a poor track record. I am absolutely in the dark about it in Win.7! I had to uninstall it due to "peer pressure":D! I was becoming the butt of many jokes here, a long while back that i was the only guy with confidence in it! I am providing a good article from MS about MSE. If you add "Free SuperAnti-Spyware" to MSE, it will be a perfect marriage and you "may" consider dumping Win.Defender" http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/remove.aspx Best wishes!:):up:

#6 ·
On my computer, which I purchased in Feb.,Windows 7 was the installed OS. MSE and Windows Defender were added to the installed package. Win 7 and MSE have performed without problems. Windows Defender has not been turned on. I have other computers (Win 98,2000, & XP. Thus far, I prefer Win 7.

I am seeking advice concernng activating Windows Defender.

#8 ·
On my computer, which I purchased in Feb.,Windows 7 was the installed OS. MSE and Windows Defender were added to the installed package. Win 7 and MSE have performed without problems. Windows Defender has not been turned on. I have other computers (Win 98,2000, & XP. Thus far, I prefer Win 7.

I am seeking advice concernng activating Windows Defender.
Dear L Henry,
If you do not want to install any third party anti-spyware program like SAS(FREE) as i have mentioned in my first reply, then you may consider "enabling" Windows Defender. Enable it and see if it catches any spyware,etc(you must update regularly). If it is just an on-looker watching spyware go in and out (how to tell?), then disable it and download sas. webite to download sas: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

Do you have the Windows default Firewall turned "ON"?

#9 ·
The Firewall is "on".

I have been removing all programs (the ones shipped on new computers) that were not necessary. I was not familiar with Windows Defender and thus, used the forum for advice.

I am not opposed to third party programs. In the past, I have used Ad-Aware, AVG, AVAST,etc.

#10 ·
Dear L Henry,
Win.Defender was initially shipped as an Anti Spyware and became a default application of Windows. Nothing great to crow about emerged going by the customers experience! Many ,simply "disabled"it. I must have been the last one to use it, but remember i am an alien and am not bound by the rules all of you have to abide by! Cheerio!

#13 ·
Dear L Henry,
Most (in fact all) posts were tepid towards Windows Defender! You have taken the right decision to keep W-D in deep freeze, like the "Small pox virus"! All those viruses which have been rooted out of the developed countries, are stored in that way! So, there is a human element if there is a break-out again, like when AIDS entered the human habitat and reduced the human resistance to infections to zero, in came Tuberculosis (which was shunted out of USA)and we do not have a cure or a Vaccine for Small pox or HIV. It is not only the Computer world that is taking a beating from viri, but the humans too! I am an alien and there is no point of reference here! This is important, please read-->Stephen Hawkings, the legendary Phycisist was in 2009 awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Highest civilian award in the United States Of America.

His views on alien life-(wiki)--"Existence and nature of extraterrestrial life

Hawking has indicated that he is almost certain that alien life exists in other parts of the universe and uses a mathematical basis for his assumptions. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like." He believes alien life not only certainly exists in planets but perhaps even in other places, like within stars or even floating in outer space. He also warns that a few of these species might be intelligent and threaten Earth. Contact with such species might be devastating for humanity.[29] "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said. He advocated that, rather than try to establish contact, man should try to avoid contact with alien life forms.[30] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking#Existence_and_nature_of_extraterrestrial_life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking#cite_note-presidential-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.