1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Installing 2nd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimphot, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP desktop and want to add a second hard drive. The hard drive that is on my computer is an EIDE 80gb. I plan to install a Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB 7200rpm EIDE using the slave connector on the primary leg of the IDE controller cable. The secondary IDE leg has a CD-RW and a DVD drive. I know how to jumper and physically install the new drive.

I need detailed instructions on what to do once I have the hard drive physically installed. I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instaed of "Disk Management"?

The new drive will be used for data only. I want to set up the new drive as at least four drives. I assume they will be D, E, F and G. I want to use the new D drive for general data (no more than 4GB), the new E drive for photos (probably 20GB), the new F drive for creating CD images (about 2GB) and the new G drive for scratch, like virtual memory for Photoshop.

Where can I find instructions on how to do this as well as information as to what kind of partitions will best suit my needs? I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instead of "Disk Management"?

I have a copy of "Windows XP Inside and OUT" by Bott & Siechert and I'm sure all the pertinent information is there. I need more of a "cookbook" approach.

Jim :confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

I would use PartitionMagic, which has a wizard that will do the whole thing for you. What need to be done is to create the partitions and format them. The first parition is called the Primary Partition and then you create a Extended Partition with Logical Partions within it. The OS assigns the drive letters.

3. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Dan-O,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have done some reading overnight and I believe that an extended partition with logical drives is the way I should go.

Questions:

1. Do I need to create a primary partition and an extended partition on the second drive or should I just create an extended partition only?

2. Does the extended partition have all the free space on the disk available to it? If so, should I set up logical drives for all the available space, or should I just set up what I need and either expand the size of the logical drives or add logical drives as needed?

3. Is it true that WinXP keeps the drive letters assigned? In other words, before adding the new drive, my drives are:

A: Floppy
    C: Boot Hard drive
    D: DVD Drive
    E: CD-RW Drive
    F: Card Reader on my USB PhotoSmart printer
    G: Microtech Firewire Compact Flash drive

Therefore, will these drive letters be kept and the new drives begin with H:, or will D:-G: be "pushed out" to higher letters with the four new partitions being assigned D:-G: (A:-F: show up as drives in the "Disk Management" window, but G: does not. A:-G: all show up in "My Computer")?

4. If XP does keep the old drive letters in place, should I assign new drive letters to D:-F: (G: is not available in "Disk Management" for reassignment) to, say, M:-O: so that my hard drives letters will be C:-G: after adding my four new logical drives or does it matter what the drive letters are? It seem that I remember something about hard drives needing to be assigned letters before removable drives.

5. If I do reassign drive letters to my existing drives, will I cause any problems?

As you can see, I have a jillion questions. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim :)

4. Dan O

Dan O

1. You must create a primary partition before you can create an extended partition.

2. Yes, the extended partition can have all the free space on the disk available to it. I would assign all available space. Expanding partitions is chancy. The last partition can normally be expanded but expanding others may cause you to lose data.

3. The second hard drive's primary partition is always given the drive letter D:. WinXP will also float removable drive device letters. So the Logical partitions will be assigned the next available letters, E:,F:....

4. N/A

5. No, you can reassign them as you like except for C: and D:.

You should experiment with the new drive before adding real data on it. I just got a new drive and changed my mind several times how I wanted it partition. Enjoy.

5. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Dan-O,

Thanks for the advice. I will play with the drive for a while to decide my exact preferred configuration.

I am still a little confused over the primary/extended partition thing. If I must create a primary partition first, then how big do I make it? Let's say, for example, I have a 60GB drive. I want to use it strictly for data. In the initial configuration, I want to create four logical drives:

D: = 4GB
    E: = 2GB
    F: = 20GB
    G: = Remainder of disk space (~34GB)

The first three I expect to remain fixed in size, but they could change if I discover a need later. The fourth, G:, would be used as scratch space with the idea that if I need to later I could carve other drives from it.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that I should make D: a primary partition, then create an extended partition and create E:, F:, and G: as logical drives. Is this right?

Jim

6. Dan O

Dan O

Yes, you should make D: a primary partition, then create an extended partition and create E:, F:, and G: as logical drives.

If you use NTFS as the drive format for all partitions you don't really need to create the G: drive. NTFS is more successful at carve and putting pieces together.

7. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Dan-O,

Thanks for all your help. I am stuck in another direction right now. I decided that I would get "Drive Image" and backup my existing hard drive before installing and monkeying with the new one just in case I do something stupid. In the process, I have discovered that I can't use the DOS emergency disks created with Drive Image or Partition Magic because I have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. DOS apparently won't recognize the USB devices.

I guess the next thing I have to do is buy a PS2 keyboard and mouse and get recoverable backups made, then I can proceed with adding the new hard drive.

It may be a few days before I make any progress with the addition of the new drive.

8. Dan O

Dan O

That's a good idea to make a backup image just in case.

Also some vendors do offer MS-DOS drivers for USB devices, you should check their website.

9. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Dan-O,

I got the second drive installed, formatted, partitioned and loaded with data. It is running fine.

I learned some things along the way, especially some things about XP. These are (briefly):

1. While it appears that most new hard disks come from the vendor already low-level formatted, they need to be low-level formatted in the user's computer. Each vendor I saw supplied some software that will run in DOS on a boot floppy. It is SLOW! It took about 8 hours for my new 60GB drive to format. It is WORTH IT! Do not skip this step! (the new drive may mis-report itself to BIOS) Also, be sure that the boot drive is disconnected before rebooting into DOS to format the new drive - a safety precaution.

2. One does not need to create a primary partition unless one is creating a new bootable hard drive. I told Partition Magic 7.01 to create logical partitions and it did.

3. Windows XP did NOT shift the existing drive letters out! It assigned new ones after the existing letters as follows:

Before adding new drive:

A: - floppy
    C: - Operating System hard drive
    D: - CD-RW drive
    E: - DVD drive
    F: - PhotoSmart printer card reader
    G: - Microtech Firewire CameraMate drive

After adding the new drive with 4 partitions and letting Partition Magic assign drive letters:

A: - floppy
    C: - Operating System hard drive
    D: - CD-RW drive
    E: - DVD drive
    F: - PhotoSmart printer card reader
    G: - Microtech Firewire CameraMate drive
    H: - New Drive
    I: - New Drive
    J: - New Drive
    K: - New Drive

Hope this information helps someone else who knows no more than I did when I started this process.

Thanks for all your help. This call can be closed. If you want any specific information about the problems I encountered, let me know.

Jim

10. Dan O

Dan O

Jim,

You're welcome and thanks for sharing your information. I learn something new myself from other users every day and you taught me a few new things, thanks. I am really surprised that XP did not reorder the drive letters. From experience and from what I have read the first partition of a new drive is always drive letter D:. I wonder if you created a primary paritition on the new drive would it been assigned drive letter D:? I guess someone needs to experiment and let us all know.

I will mark this thread solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!