1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing a New OS- first time doing this, need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lisak2, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

I am installing Windows XP Media Center Edition onto my desktop computer. Once I inserted the OS disk and started up the system I got the following message:

Warning- You must remove the HP Personal Media Drive or any other external media drive from the system before attempting system recovery. Data will be erased if the external drive is left in the system. Remove any such device and press any key to continue.

What does this mean? As far as I know, I have no external media drives on my computer :( feeling really dumb right now! :) please help

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

3. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

nothing at all. i mean, i know what they are talking about, but there is nothing attatched to my computer...not even a flash drive. it's very confusing. all i have on the computer right now is my keyboard, my mouse, and a monitor...

4. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Never had to install an OS so I'm not really sure why that is happening. Sorry Lisa :eek:

5. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

totally a first time for me. this is gonna be frustrating, i can tell :D

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi lisak2,

I am a little confused as to why you are installing Windows Media Centre. I looked at your computer specs and from those specs it seems that WMC is already installed. So why are you installing/reinstalling WMC :confused:

Secondly, many laptops come with a hidden partition that contains system-critical files that are essential for the successful booting of the laptop. There are good reasons why this is the way it is, but the downside is that you cannot image or restore these disks and that with certain setups you, the user, cannot reinstall the OS. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the supplier, in your case this would be Gateway.

7. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

Oh no, I'm installing XP Media Center on my desktop. My laptop is not being touched...well, except to write in this forum... My desktop stopped booting up recently. It has Windows ME on it, but I do believe it meets the requirements for XP. In any case, I have no choice but to reinstall the OS. The computer is totally and completely a mess. I was considering putting a version of Linux on it... If I could get it even to boot this would be so much easier

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Remove the HP Personal Media Drive from the left front side of you computer.
    This bay should be empty.
    Mine may look a little different .. I have a second Internal HD in there.

If you don't have this style computer ... remove all USB devices.

Attached Files:

• HP.gif
      HP.gif
      File size:
      182.1 KB
      Views:
  9. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

All usb devices are removed. I don't think I even OWN the HP Personal Media Drive...it certainly isn't visible on my computer... I'd have to open it up to remove anything else

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have a hunch you trying to install WMCE from another computer ???
    This wont work.

HP Media Centers come with WMCE and I dont think the M$ version will alert you to the storage problem.
    What is the make n model number of your computer ??

Good .. the HP Personal Media Drive is a waste of good money.

11. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

NEC Ready 9889. The install disk did come with another computer.

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

do you have the Windows ME restore CD's ???
    I'm thinking you best bet is to reinstall W-ME then get a W-XP home upgrade CD.

I can't find anything about your NEC ... are you sure it's strong enough for W-XP ??

Installing the OS from your desktop won't work.
    OEM software is married to the motherboard .. and it's also very illegal

13. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

um...oops :( well now that i actually am able to boot the computer into safemode i'm trying to get it to a point to just be able to boot. I think maybe I will put linux on it. I do not have the Windows ME restore disk.

14. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

AHH! found the install disk for Windows Me! YAY! thank you all for your help

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!