Solved: Installing a Router for Dummies!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

amazinggreys

Help with a Linksys Wireless Router Installation, please!

I have a IBM Aptiva with what I hope is the listing of specifications you will need as follows:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\
IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
Uptime: 0:00:56:36
Normal mode
IBM Corporation
AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
376MB RAM
76% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (56754MB free)
Available space on drive C: 56754MB of 58629MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 5845MB of 6137MB (FAT32)

I just bought a Dell 9100C
Pentium 4
System Type X86-based PC
Running XP Home Edition
Virtual Memory 2 GB
Physical Memory 1,204.00 MB
Processor X86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel~2992 Mhz

I also have a Linksys Wireless Router, Model WRT54GS that I would like to use.

My IBM is the computer that has Internet connectivity. I assume that is where I should install the router, but one knows one should never assume! The CD says it will be simple but I must be a simpleton since I haven’t been able to get it to work. I installed it and all the lights are doing what they should be doing but when I go to my other computer I am at a loss as to how to get the two to connect. It could just be a case of Windows 98 not being sufficient, but I don’t know that and I haven’t been able to find a place that will tell me so.

If I need to provide more information please tell me what and where to look and I’ll do what I can to find it.

And...I'll need step by step instructions like they would write in the dummies books too!

Thanks in advance for your help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would help a bunch if you told us what ISP and the make/model of the broadband modem.

What works and what doesn't? Are both systems connected to the Internet through the router? Are you intending on connecting wirelessly, or wired? What have you done so far?

amazinggreys

Thanks for replying...but like I said...this needs to be a lesson for dummies!

I'm hoping to make this a wireless connection. It seems that my IBM is connected to Linksys. The lights are on and flashing when I log onto the internet but if there is a place I could look to confirm this you will need to tell me. I think my problem is that I don't know how to go about getting the other computer to recognize or find the signal.

As for the ISP, I assume you mean who provides me with an internet connection...that would be Rogers.com

My modem is Rogers and they gave that to me when I connected to the internet through their cable system. If you need the exact name tell me where to find it and I'll be happy to provide it.

At this point all I have done is inserted the CD that came with the router and followed the steps as outlined. I did not download the Symantec/Norton anti virus that was also on the CD because I've been told not to use that product.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You don't need their CD, and it can only cause you grief. :)

If the IBM is connected to the Linksys router, and the broadband modem is connected to the WAN port of the router, it's working.

Do you have wireless capability with the Dell? Since it appears to be a desktop, I wouldn't think that would be standard.

amazinggreys

LOL...so...no one has ever told me WHY Symatec/Nortin will only cause me grief? Care to explain?

The Dell is not a laptop. Considering I may have to run up and down a couple of flights of steps to check things on it before posting here...I wish it were! So, is there someplace I can check on the Dell that will tell me if it is or not?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, for some reason I thought the Dell 9100 was a desktop. Same question, does it have wireless capability?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Well, JohnWill, you "forced" me to go check out Dell's web site. They have Dimension 9100 (desktop) and Inspiron 9100 (laptop). Until now I thought the numbers were unique to laptop or desktop.

amazinggreys, to determine if the Dell has wireless capability look in Device Manager under Network Adaptors to see if there is a wireless one (probably Intel PRO/Wireless ...).

None of my business, but why don't you just bring that laptop to your posting area the next time you run up and down the stairs?

amazinggreys

The Dell is NOT a laptop. It is a Dimension 9100 DESKTOP.

In the Device Manager it lists:

Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
and
Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-band (802.11a/b/g) USB2.0. Adapter #2

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, you're saying you have a USB external wireless adapter? We could have saved a lot of time by finding that out up front. :)

You say you're connected to the router for the IBM laptop? From the Dell, do you see any indication that it detects a wireless access point? You mention a couple of flights of stairs, exactly how far away is the router from the Dell?

amazinggreys

Sorry, but I warned you this was an installation for dummies situation!

Yes, I have an adaptor and there are lights on it. Do I need it if there is one already with the computer or have I not interpreted that correctly.

My IBM is not a laptop. The Dell (new computer) is upstairs - two flights up. When I bought the linksys the guy at the store sold me the booster version and said it would be powerful enough.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, it's quite possible that it's "not" powerful enough, it really depends on the specific environment. I really think I'd start this process by lugging the Dell down next to the wireless router so you're sure you have a signal. I'd also recommend if there's any way possible, you run a wire. Since this is a desktop, it's not like it has to be portable. :)

amazinggreys

Okay...but I won't be able to unhook it till later tonight.

If I decide to wire the Dell do I need a different router?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Since the USB wireless adaptor is a different brand, I suggest turning off the Linksys's speedbooster if that is an option (just to eliminate one variable). After you get a successful connection you can turn it back on to see if it makes any difference.

With the router you were sold you can connect up to 4 computers via ethernet.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, Terry has a good point that I forgot. When using dissimilar brands of 802.11b/g equipment, turn off ALL the proprietary speed up or "turbo" functions on both ends. Since they don't work across brands, all they can do is screw things up. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online