1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing a second cd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMF Apothem, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DMF Apothem

DMF Apothem Thread Starter

Hey,

I just took the cd drive out of one of my old computers and am trying to put it in my newer one. I got it all set up physically, it hooked up on the slave part of the cable and its in the bay. But when I turned my computer on I was expecting found new hardware wizard or something to install this second drive and then when I go to my computer it would be there with its own drive letter and what not. But no. It did say 'found new hardware TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM 6502B' but it didn't really do anything and then it went away. I did notice that in Device Manager it sees both the cd drives and in My computer it still has my Cd drive, but when I eject it the new drive comes out, so it replaced the old one. I want know how to get it to show up with two cd drives in my computer with their own drive letters and everything.
    OS is WinXP Pro.

Many thanks,
    DMF Apothem.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

is there a jumper on the old drive?

3. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

Yep, sounds like the jumpers are set incorrectly. For the primary (the drive at the end of the cable) make sure the jumper is in the master setting.. The secondary will need to use the slave setting..There should be diagrams on the the drives to show which is which..
    note: Oddly enough most Dell's prefer both drives being set to CS (cable select).

4. DMF Apothem

DMF Apothem Thread Starter

Hey,

Thanks a lot, i didn't even know what jumpers were but after some research I got it all set up and I just added a second hard drive in addition to the cd drive.

DMF Apothem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice