1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} installing a secondary hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosejasongiese, Feb 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosejasongiese

rosejasongiese Thread Starter

My Pc has a 2 gig hard drive, and I want to add a secondary 2 gig which I already have.

My hard drive is listed as the primary master drvie, and my cd.rom is listed as the primaty slave drive. Nothing is plugged into the secondary port. Can I plug my other hard drive in as my secondary master drive? If so, how would I go about setting this up? Would it automatically detect it, or would I have to do something in the setup to make this work?

------------------

2. brianF

brianF

You can plug it in as secondary master or slave.

configure jumper on drive master or slave.
    Plug in ide cable drive to mobo pin1 to pin1
    Plug in power cord
    Start pc, enter bios, make sure secondary ide is set to auto configure, save, exit, reboot

Depending on what is on driver you will either need to fdisk or just format it.

3. rosejasongiese

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm going to shut my com down and give it a try. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

4. rosejasongiese

Well, that didn't work as I intended.
    When I turn my PC on with both drives plugged in, it doesn't boot up. The tower turns on, and all the lights come on, but it just sits there. Also the light on my monitor stays orange instead of turning green. The hard drive I'm using has win98, and the other one has win2000me. I can plug either one in as my primary master and it works, but when I plug the other one in at the same time, no boot up.

------------------

5. Prana25

Prana25

Try this:

1. Primary HDD on end of ribbon w/slave on mid ribbon cable into IDE1

2. Make sure the Master HDD is set to "master w/slave" and the Slave HDD set accordingly.

3. CD plugged into IDE2
    **Make sure the cables are plugged in correctly - pin1 to 1 (red strip on cable is 1)**

4. enter bios upon startup and run auto detect, esc, F10 (save and exit), and give it a go.

5. Format secondary HDD.

Please excuse any "misused" terminology.

Hope it helps

6. rosejasongiese

thanks for the info. I was told if the hdd's didn't match, they couldn't be ran on the same cable, but I'll give it a try. Also, is the slave/master switch a physical switch, or something I would do in the setup? both of my hdd's have been ran as masters, and work that way, so I guess that means if its a physical switch, then I'll have to find it. I'll keep you posted.

------------------

7. brianF

brianF

There are jumpers on the back of the harddrive. the primary must be jumpered to master, the slave must be jumpered to slave. both can't be the same on the same ide cable.

8. rosejasongiese

Thanks to both of you, it is installed and working. The first time I tried it they were both jumpered to master, but I was trying to make one the primary master, and the other the secondary master with the cdrom as the primary slave. either way I changed the jumpers to make both hdd's primary(master and slave), and the cdrom is now the secondary master. Up and running now. Again, thanks for all the help. This has got to be the most USEFUL site I've found on the web so far. Hopefully someday I will see a problem I can help with. You guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

9. rosejasongiese

Well, I was going to close this thread considering the problem is fixed, but I guess I can't do that. I guess I'll just let it ride until the administrator do that.
    Thanks again, without your help I would be way more lost than I am now, and that would be bad bad news for me and my PC.

!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!

------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice