1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Applications from the Internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Necropaxx, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP SP3. Lately, I tried to install OpenOffice on my computer. The download ran normally until it got to about 15MB downloaded. Then it abruptly finished downloading. When I tried to run the installer, it said the files were corrupted.

I tried to download the file from a mirror site, and ran into the same problem. Then I tried switching browsers (I had been using Google Chrome). Firefox and IE did not change anything. I tried downloading a patch for a video game I own, and that too did not want to install. Now, I know that the file I downloaded wasn't corrupt because I installed it on my computer when I was using XP.

I've tried running the .exe files as an administrator - no change. I'm out of ideas: what can I do so that .exe's will install?

(Please note that other file extensions (.jpg, .ppt, .pdf, etc.) do install and run fine.)

2. joeten

joeten

Hi and welcome to TSG could the problem lie with your antivirus or firewall

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The entire download is 149MB, right?

4. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

@joeten: how would I find out? I'm using AVG free, and I don't know about my firewall.

@TerryNet: correct.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

To find out if the problem is with a security application (other than the Windows firewall) uninstall it temporarily.

Are you sure that your problem is with downloading, and not with losing the network connection?

6. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

I've uninstalled the patch files and reinstalled them 2 or 3 times. Unlike OpenOffice, the entire file will download normally; it just won't run. Sometimes I've managed to get the OpenOffice file to download 40 MB before going on the fritz. So I'm pretty sure it's a problem with downloading and not losing the connection. But just in case I'm wrong, how would I be able to check and find out?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You'd probably notice something (around the Notification Area) telling you your connection was lost or re-connected.

Are you using an ethernet or wireless connection? If wireless have you tried ethernet to see if the same problems occur?

After installing Windows 7 did you get the Windows 7 or Vista drivers from Dell's (assuming the computer in your Specs) web site for at least the chipset and networking? If not, this could be a not-quite-correct driver problem.

8. joeten

joeten

Hi Terry makes some very good points also I downloaded and installed open office last night with no hitches so I think the dl is ok

9. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

That's probably it, Terry, I'll search out the drivers. Thanks and I'll get back to you.

10. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

OK, I looked for the drivers on dell.com, but according to them, My model (Precision 360) doesn't have Windows 7 Drivers. Does this mean I'm completely out of luck?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Use Vista drivers if they exist. That's what I'm using on my HP.

12. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

Vista's out, too. I'm going to try XP drivers. It should work because it worked when I used XP, right?

13. Necropaxx

Necropaxx Thread Starter

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

In rare cases the XP drivers may work with Windows 7 or Vista.

See if the NIC's manufacturer has a Windows 7 or Vista driver. If so, that one may work (if you're lucky).

If you get a PCI or USB NIC that has Windows 7 drivers it may work.

15. joeten

joeten

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902057