1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installing CPU cooler fan/heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mad_Kid_77, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mad_Kid_77

Mad_Kid_77 Thread Starter

i purchased a new cpu fan/heatsink that has mounting clips for attachment (TR2 Line A4012-02 80mm Intel Prescott 478 Processor Cooler - 3.15" - 2500 rpm - Plastic Fan(s), Copper Heatsink - Processor Cooling Fan & Heatsink), my current fan/heatsink has push-pins. any ideas on attaching the clip mounts to a motherboard that was made for push-pins? any ideas will be greatly appreciated

2. brite750

brite750

it almost sounds like you have a hsf for the wrong type socket, are you positive you have a 478 socket and not a 775

3. Mad_Kid_77

possible. should i just get a new HSF? or is there any way to attach the 478 to the 775? and how would I know for sure

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. You need the correct hsf. There are hsf that have multiple mounting plates and will fit a multitude of applications however unless the one you bought is like that you need the correct one.
    Post a link to your system and or motherboard; we can point you toward the correct hsf.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

6. dts73

dts73

Best thing to do is take the HSF back to the shop and change it for a HSF that matches your CPU.

CPUs come in many guises and dis-guises. All you need to do is find the correct product number and Yer spot-on..

Though once You know the chipset involved.......There are many Companys that build HSFs for CPU and other parts....

Read the mags and pay attention to what the web is saying....CustomPC is good as is Hexus.net......(y)

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

This heatsink may have accessories for multiple socket types.

Which cooler is it?

8. Mad_Kid_77

would this work? Thermaltake Silent 775D Processor Heatsink and Cooling Fan - 3.54" - 2500rpm - Aluminum/Copper Heatsink - Processor Heatsink & Cooling Fan with Heat Pipes. My original fan/cooler looks exactly like the one Win2kpro mentioned.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice