1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing drivers for dual graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yorio, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yorio

Yorio Thread Starter

I am currently using dual ATI RADEON HD 5800 series graphics cards and though I have the most recently updated driver I'm almost certain I installed it wrong since I am continuing to have the video driver stop responding and other things such as disfigured or skewed images. I know how to uninstall and install drivers but since I have two I'm honestly a bit confused. If you can't tell already I'm new to this stuff. I've thought about this for a long time and this is actually my last resort. I've gone through google for hours looking at guides but can't quite find an answer for what I'm looking for.

-Do I simply uninstall both drivers for the graphics cards? (I'll use dc pro to help clean out those drivers)
    and when I do that when I start to install the drivers do I just install it once or do I have to somehow install the driver twice and set it on the graphics cards?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Are you using two cards to support 3 or more monitors, or are the cards in a Crossfire setup?

If the cards are separate, uninstall the drivers using Add and Remove programs, shut down and remove one of the cards, then boot and install the drivers. After the first card is working, then install the second card.

If it's a Crossfire setup, are the cards jumpered properly? And other issues can cause the drivers to crash. Power supply issues, motherboard BIOS and/or setup also come to mind.

3. Yorio

Yorio Thread Starter

Yeah it's a crossfire setup. I figured out I installed the new drivers wrong. So I tried it again (forgot to delete the old drivers last time) I haven't had a problem since. Thanks a lot for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice