1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing from original XP Pro CD onto a SATA drive

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCBuilder, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    I am in the process of moving my Win ZP from my 5-year old system to a new system which has a 500GB SATA drive. I am using the original 5+ year old Win XP Pro CD (pre-SP2).
    I tried to install Win XP from this original CD. Part-way through the installation, it gave the size of Disk 0 @ ID 0 on Bus 0 on atapi [MBR] as 131,069MB which looks to me to be about 130GB, not 500! I did a quick format and preceded with the install. Later, I got a Windows Install error (blue screen) saying that "A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." etc, etc.

Could this problem be the fact that the original Win XP Pro doesn't recognize a SATA hard drive?

Could anyone advise me how I could get an installation CD which has the updates such that a SATA drive will be recognized? I was hoping not to have to go out and buy a second copy of Win XP since I will be decommisioning my current system.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    i would assume the BIOS needs updating. Windows XP should not have any problems with SATA drives, or drives that are 500GB.

3. metweek

metweek

If you can't get the bios update to work I would suggest you just install Windows on a 130GB partition then make another partition on the remainder of the disk using Disk Management.

4. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    Thanks for your responses guys - I'm often amazed how many great people try to help out other's of us that are not quite so up to speed. After I posted my message, I looked on another site to see if there was any help there - the site is www.buildyourown.org.uk. I found a guide to installing Win XP onto a SATA drive. I suspected the problem was that SATA drives were not available when I bought Win XP about 5 years ago and it did not know anything about the drive. On the buildyourown site, there is a link to what I believe is a fix. Go to http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-installing/windows-xp/ The writer suggests that a driver for the SATA drive may well be available with the mobo. Voila - it was there on a CD. The writer's instructions for using it seem fairly clear and I will give it a try later in the week.

So, this is a fix for anyone else who is having the same problem.

TTFN!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!