1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing HD w/o clearing it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PDarowski, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PDarowski

PDarowski Thread Starter

I recently bought a hard drive from my friend that has lots of songs on it. He gave me the driver as well and I want to use it as a slave drive. When I try to install the driver, it forces me to clear the hard drive but I want to keep the songs on it. Is there any way to install this new hard drive without clearing it?

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
    120 Gbytes
    Model: ST3120026A

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its an internal hard rive it does not require a driver so you should be able to ignore the disk completely.

Just connect the drive to you IDE and power cables. Then set the jumper up right. If there is another drive on the same IDE cable then make sure the original drive is jumpered to Master and the the new drive is jumpered to Slave. These jumpers are found on the back of the drive and a legend on the top of the drive.

When you boot up the computer the drive should appear in My Computer as its already formated.

However if the drive was formatted in NTFS for Windows 2000 oe Windows XP then you'll additional software to read the drive from Windows 98.

3. PDarowski

PDarowski Thread Starter

Yes, it used to be used on (i thinK) Windows XP. What software will I need to read it in Windows 98, because it doesn't read on its own?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need somthing like this: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

Hoever that only reads from NTFS drives and cannot write or modify them. You could use it to copy the data off then you need to reformat the drive to FAT32. NTFS is not useable by Windows 95, 98, ME, or DOS by default.

5. PDarowski

PDarowski Thread Starter

I downloaded it and such but I don't have the nessesary files. They're not in my system32 or system at all. The website made it seem like I have access to my new HD and I could copy them from the HD to the one I am using right now. Where could I get these nessesary files?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You would need Windows XP CD.

7. PDarowski

PDarowski Thread Starter

Crap. That I do not have. It may be easier to do the following if it works: could I take the HD to a friend's house who HAS Windows XP and plug the HD in there? Could I copy the songs and stuff onto his HD, format the HD with Windows 98 at my house, and then copy the songs back onto my HD? If not, he could just burn them for me right? That's what I'll do if it's possible.

8. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Yes, you can save the songs on his PC temporarily, install Win 98 then copy them back to your PC

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes that'll work. But there's no need to install Windows on the drive, it just needs to be formated to FAT32 in either his or your computer - preferably yours.

10. PDarowski

PDarowski Thread Starter

That's what I'll do then.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice