1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installing KB979683

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ggarry2, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggarry2

ggarry2 Thread Starter

Hi i am unable to install update KB979683. I am getting a response of failed time after time.Is anybody able to help me please?I have had no other issues when installing updates previously.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go into My Computer (Windows Explorer) and from the Tools menu, choose Folder Options and then the Vie wmenu. Scroll down to tick "Show hidden files an dfolders" then further down, untick "Hide protected system files". Click Apply, accept the warning then click OK. Navigate to the Windows folder and delete all the bold blue filenames starting with a $ symbol then NTUninstall - except the first one. They're all bunched together at the top of the list. Then, go to Software Distribution and delete the whole lot. Do the same in the sub-folder Event Caché. Now you've wiped out all trace of prior updates you might get a clean fresh download of 979683.

3. ggarry2

ggarry2 Thread Starter

To Saga Lout thankyou for your help.All the best!

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You're very welcome.

5. nfree

nfree

Hi there. I have followed your instruction up to Click Apply, accept the warning then click OK' but then [and i'm sorry if I appear a bit thick here] where do i find the WINDOWS folder you speak of? In order to delete the bold blue filenames? Also the Software Distribution folder and it's subfolder?
    many thanks

Nick

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Windows is a folder usually found in the root of the C:\drive.

7. nfree

nfree

ok thanks - i see why i'm confused. I was in the correct Windows folder [which is also where the other folders you mention are I see]
    My problem is I don't see any 'bold blue filenames starting with a $ symbol then NTUninstall'

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Did you go through the bit about revealing hidden files, etc - including my typo when I said Vie menu instead of View?

9. nfree

nfree

oh yes, definitely. something told me this wasn't gonna be easy

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

To a certain extent, that was just an additional benefit to be gained from freeing up some space by deleting those uninstall folders. Since you don't have any to delete, you can skip that stage and go to the Software Download folder and delete the contents of Download and Event Caché. Hopefully you'll then get a fresh download which will work.

11. nfree

nfree

Thanks for your help. having struggled with KB979683 for two whole days now, trying your method, clean boots etc I finally solved it with a simple System restore. I couldn't believe it having already tried this first of all. I mustn't have gone back to an early enough point. My laptop now restarts and instals software however i unticked the KB979683 which is still on the machine. But i daren't try and reinstall it. Do you think this would be a mistake?

12. cruzancrucian

cruzancrucian

I am still confused. What is the first file? Mine is $MSI31Uninstall. Also delete the contents in both Downland and Event Cache without regards to files stored there?

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I routinely bin the whole lot with no adverse consequences and probably do it once every day in one system or another. However, when I post that here, someone else will come in and tell you not to delete $hf_mig$ or you'll destroy your computer and probably your entire country so I got fed up with saying it and just advise people to leave the first one in. Your first one can come out along with all the others (except that one I mentioned :D) and the others files you can delete are in the Windows\Software Distribution folder.

14. cruzancrucian

cruzancrucian

I deleted only the $Unintall file for update KB979683. After I did that, I turned off my computer. It asked me if I wanted to install the update before turning off the laptop. The 979683 was installed before computer turning off. I restarted my computer and NO more message informing me of an update for 979683. The update appears in Control Panel. It appears deleting the one file worked in my case. The other folders/files were NOT touched!

Thanks for your help!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!