1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing McAfee VirusScan Plus

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by It never ends, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. It never ends

It never ends Thread Starter

Recently switched from Norton Antivirus to McAfee Virus Scan Plus. After installing, started having problems with many things. Was recommended to uninstall and reinstall. Didn't work...made things even worse. After reinstalling, shortly after, the McAfee icon and downloaded file disappeared, and now can't reinstall it again. Lost ISP for a while and could not connect to my home page nor the internet....somehow my old ISP (AOL) was listed as my Local Area Connection along with my current one. Got rid of AOL connection, and am now able to connect. Lost my "system restore", so cannot do a system restore, cannot even get to "help and support", among other things. I realize there are a few issues to contend with, but resolution at a time would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of patience. Oh...also...having problems printing off the internet. Can print off notepade, but nothing off the web. Updated printer driver, which got the printer to work again, but still not off the web. I have an HPdeskjet 940c series printer, and Windows XP. Need lots of help. Sorry for the book I've just posted!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Did you un-install Norton Anti-virus before installing the Mcafee?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. It never ends

Yes, uninstalled Norton.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Check the Add/Remove Programs list and make sure all entries for Symantec Norton have been uninstalled, including LiveUpdate.

After you do that, go into C:\Program Files and make sure that all Symantec, Norton, and LiveUpdate folders are deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. It never ends

7. It never ends

I did find a folder in my program files for "Symantec" and deleted it. Tried to install McAfee but without success. When I put the CD in, the box comes up on my monitor, but then does nothing. Hmmm?

8. c_l_n

c_l_n

just a completely unrelated suggestion, but you could always download avast!
    Many people frown upon free anti viruses, but many people have said that Avast! is better than Norton, anf Mcaffee, inspite that it is a free software!

9. It never ends

Thanx, I'll try it. I've heard that som of the free anti virus protection plans are quite adequate, and have heard that Avast is the one they recommend most. Anything is better than the nothing I have right now, right?

10. It never ends

I'm having a hard time finding the new posts. How do I get them?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!