1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PJ Staley, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

My system informed me prior to ultimate bail that the hard drive was bad. I purchased a new hard drive and tried every possible configuration from Master/Cable Select/Slave to no avail. Each time I power on, it beeps. I have it firmly connected to the main board and am using the 80-pin cable connector on the end (not the mid point connector). Please advise as to what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

2. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

Your Hard Drive Should Be Set to Master. Is It IDE or SATA or SATA II???
    Also What Model and Munfacturer id your Hard Drive??

3. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

I have had it set to all configurations as I mentioned above. That's why I'm a little confused.
    It's a seagate pata/100 baracuda 3.5 internal hard drive with a 80 pin connector cable

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

What kind of beeps? There may be other issues with the system and your focus is too close. Is your system failing to boot to bios, etc. Black screen, nothing? Make sure the cable on the hard drive is connected correctly. General rule of thumb if it's an IDE is to place the red line running down the cable closest to the PSU plug on the drive.
    Give us an idea of the types of beeps your experiencing by counting them. Are they long or short? Let us know, Jazz

5. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

This happened to one of my CD Drives, I just left it out. What was the Original Setting of the HDD?

6. PJ Staley

PJ Staley Thread Starter

The CPU fan wasn't plugged in. :rolleyes:duh!

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

Well PJ good work. More especially lucky CPU! Without the fans help you may have really had an issue...LOL. Glad it's working. Can you post a Solved. Have a great one...Jazz

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice