1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Servant1975, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant1975

Servant1975 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with windows vista. I dropped it and damaged the hard drive. We bought a new hard drive off ebay with windows Vista on it. When I turn it on I get blue screen saying:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
    Technical information:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have never done this before type of thing before and am totally clueless about what to do next. I have the dell reinstallation DVD for Vista that came with my computer and access to another computer. What do I do?

2. Megabite

Megabite

If the Operating System was on the Hard drive already...then it will not work on another PC unless the motherboard and hard ware are similar

Put the Dell Cd in and restart the PC and see if it recognizes it and reinstall it

3. Servant1975

installation asked about loading device driver, but says there aren't any.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you explain a bit more? Where and when? Can you skip the step?

5. Servant1975

I restarted and skipped that step, installation is proceeding, currently expanding files

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Though it's not generally recommended to skip any files, Setup may ask for some drivers even though they can be installed later.

But if it is asking, then you must be installing over the top of the old one instead of installing a new clean edition.

7. Servant1975

It worked, thank you. Was afraid disk wouldn't work and didn't want to make matters worse.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The VIA AGP driver is the one I see most often that needs to be skipped. The VIA 4-in-1 board drivers just need to be installed when setup has finished.

Don't worry. If skipping is even an option, then setup doesn't think that the file is crucial for installation. But too many skips usually means a bad CD or hard drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice