1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing New XP - F8 not working to agree t/c

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leachim, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Just started installing XP on a laptop

Gets to Press F8 to agree to Terms and Conditions

F8 doesn't work......

Is there a shortcut ?

Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you using a USB keyboard on an older computer? You may need a PS/2 style keyboard

3. Rockn

Rockn

4. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Calm down everyone :eek:

I sorted it - had to plug in a USB keyboard - silly me, should have known :rolleyes:

It was when you have to agree terms and conditions when first installing XP - obviously the laptop F8 doesnt work

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The laptop may have an F-lock key that needs to
    be pressed before the F keys are active.
    Glad you got it going.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Heres a suggestion that sounds really stupid but just might work. On a brand new computer i went to switch it from windows 7 back to xp. I had to change the BIOS of course from AHCI to Compatable etc. All went well untill i got to the part where i had to hit F8 for the EULA agreement. I kept hitting it and thought this is a brand new computer what on earth is wrong with the keyboard?Finally i went back into the BIOS and checked under the keyboard settings and it was set for multifunction. I set it to single function and was able to proceed without further problems. This was on a dell inspiron laptop.I dont know if anyother brand has that option to change the keyboard settings but you can check and see if it solves the problem.

7. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Yep - it was a Dell Inspiron !

Maybe a BIOS fix would have done it ?

:D

8. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Yes - on the laptop keyboard

Working now !

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Mine is a dell inspiron 1545. I guess for once something that sounds dumb turned out to be smart after all. lol!!!!For future reference so you dont have to go through this again check the BIOS setting and see what the keyboard is set for.If it still says multifunction set it to single function and it will be solved forever.Im glad its solved for you for now. When i replied earlier there were only a few answers and it hadnt been solved yet. Im slow at replies sometimes. lol!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!