Solved: Installing New XP - F8 not working to agree t/c

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

leachim

Just started installing XP on a laptop

Gets to Press F8 to agree to Terms and Conditions

F8 doesn't work......

Is there a shortcut ?

Thanks

Are you using a USB keyboard on an older computer? You may need a PS/2 style keyboard

leachim

Calm down everyone :eek:

I sorted it - had to plug in a USB keyboard - silly me, should have known :rolleyes:

It was when you have to agree terms and conditions when first installing XP - obviously the laptop F8 doesnt work

leroys1000

Banned
The laptop may have an F-lock key that needs to
be pressed before the F keys are active.
Glad you got it going.

SUEOHIO

SUE
Heres a suggestion that sounds really stupid but just might work. On a brand new computer i went to switch it from windows 7 back to xp. I had to change the BIOS of course from AHCI to Compatable etc. All went well untill i got to the part where i had to hit F8 for the EULA agreement. I kept hitting it and thought this is a brand new computer what on earth is wrong with the keyboard?Finally i went back into the BIOS and checked under the keyboard settings and it was set for multifunction. I set it to single function and was able to proceed without further problems. This was on a dell inspiron laptop.I dont know if anyother brand has that option to change the keyboard settings but you can check and see if it solves the problem.

leachim

Heres a suggestion that sounds really stupid but just might work. On a brand new computer i went to switch it from windows 7 back to xp. I had to change the BIOS of course from AHCI to Compatable etc. All went well untill i got to the part where i had to hit F8 for the EULA agreement. I kept hitting it and thought this is a brand new computer what on earth is wrong with the keyboard?Finally i went back into the BIOS and checked under the keyboard settings and it was set for multifunction. I set it to single function and was able to proceed without further problems. This was on a dell inspiron laptop.I dont know if anyother brand has that option to change the keyboard settings but you can check and see if it solves the problem.

Yep - it was a Dell Inspiron !

Maybe a BIOS fix would have done it ?

:D

leachim

I may have misunderstood what you originally said.

Are you saying the F8 key in the laptop keyboard is NOT working?

---------------------------------------------------------

Yes - on the laptop keyboard

Working now !

SUEOHIO

SUE
Mine is a dell inspiron 1545. I guess for once something that sounds dumb turned out to be smart after all. lol!!!!For future reference so you dont have to go through this again check the BIOS setting and see what the keyboard is set for.If it still says multifunction set it to single function and it will be solved forever.Im glad its solved for you for now. When i replied earlier there were only a few answers and it hadnt been solved yet. Im slow at replies sometimes. lol!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online